Bayer?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is anyone else totally freaked out by the fact that Bayer is about to buy Monsanto? It's really been a kick in the pants to get to being more self sufficient.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Roundup works by locking the nutrients in the soil so that the weeds can't access them, thus, the plant dies. Only problem is, that nutrient-blocking ability stays in the soil a lot longer than people knew; crops grown now on soil that has been impregnated with Roundup for years have difficulty getting enough nutrients to grow, let alone thrive. I can't even imagine what it's doing to us inside our bodies, and make no mistake, it's present in almost every human, domestic animal, and probably wildlife as well.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can only watch parts of it because I don't have real internet. I'll have to finish the videos when I do. The first one is fascinating. I love hearing the perspective of people in other countries. I disagree with some things in the second video but agree with others.

And thank you @baymule. It's not always easy is it?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will be fertilizing my garden and pastures with Azomite. It is ancient lava rock dust. It has 70+ trace minerals in it. I bought ten 44 pound bags and while that won't be enough to do the whole place, it is a start. yesterday we weeded around the fruit trees, spread a cup of Azomite, sheep dung compost and today we'll top it off with 4 year old wood chips, then encircle each tree with wire to keep the sheep off. We fenced off the fruit tree area, to keep the sheep away, but it all grew up in weeds. Not so bright an idea.....so now we'll fence off each tree and take the other fence down. I love having sheep to "mow" the yard!

The food we buy is fertilized with commercial, petroleum derived nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus. Three nutrients from an array of over 90? And they are artificially created. Then the fields are drenched with herbicides and pesticides, the plants are sick from the chemicals used on them, they are nutritionally deficient and produce beautiful to look at, sick, deficient foods. We are a sick population, beset with illness and disease. The average person would recoil with disgust at a "bug bite" on an imperfect vegetable or fruit. Me? My thinking is that if the bug didn't die from eating it-neither will I.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a hard time going grocery shopping anymore. When particular fruits and vegetables are not in season here, I try to always buy organic, but the price is so much higher...the same with pastured meat products. So many products I used to buy, I won't even look at now. I can't help but to look at shopper's carts as I pass by them. I am alarmed at so many who have nothing but processed and junk foods in their carts, especially when I see they have kids tagging along behind them. We are poisoning ourselves, and most people are unaware or choose to stay in denial. Over the years we have worked to change our eating habits to be more healthy, but it is hard when all that food we were raised on and our taste buds just can't forget is all around us.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha well we buy from the "good old boy" farmers. They may not care about organic, it may be more because they're not about to pay for chemicals, but regardless it is usually organic or close to it. And their hay is way cheaper. Whenever I see hay marketed as horse specific, it usually means no weeds, more money and now I know, likely chemicals.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, maybe they will change some things? :idunno

Maybe they need to sell more aspirin? :hide

I'm more concerned that China bough Smithfield from Luter!!
.......why do you think I raise hogs, now?........

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm more than a little concerned that someone who could make money off people being sick from eating food are now in charge of chemicals that are being used in agriculture.

China bought Smithfield? I didn't like Smithfield to begin with.

Latest posts