Bubblingbrooks Journey - Salut!

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
BB,
That is one of the things I fear most. DH kept pushing me to cull Ol'Thelma. I wouldn't and now she is due any day. Full bag, the whole nine. I really feel for you. :hugs

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's a bummer for sure BB. I'm sorry your husband had to deal with that - even if he's seen it before - and I'm sorry you ended up loosing them all.

:hugs

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Thanks you all :)
It was a sucker punch for sure.
Never underestimate an animal, that is for sure.

I am up WAY too early. DD wanted fed around 5:15, and now I cannot go back to sleep. The in laws are on the plane, and due in the afternoon! :ya
I got almost half the soft surfaces shampooed last night, and as soon as DH is actually awake, will dive into the rest.
Have to get it all done, plus the milking and breakfast and a lunch for DH, before 10am.
Then lots to prep for heading up to DHs sisters place at the glacier for the day tomorrow. Roasting a chicken for stew, making DD a new dress that fits, as she is busting out of everything, and also getting my nieces 13th birthday present together.
Never did find a home for the china set, so instead of selling it, I am going to gift her with the coffee set this week, and then store the rest till her 18th birthday.

I asked on freecycle for used towels to make fitted diapers with and got a very nice stack on Sunday.
Beautiful towels! 3 of them have red roses all over them, and none of them are all that used for some reason!
At least as far as what I would call used!
I tend to use them all the way to cleaning rags, and that takes years to get to that point.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freecycle is great - except around here you have to be really really quick to the punch when someone lists an "offered"...chances are that within a minute you get another alert that the item has been taken.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Freecycle is great - except around here you have to be really really quick to the punch when someone lists an "offered"...chances are that within a minute you get another alert that the item has been taken.
Ours is so heavily moderated, that they approve all posts. So it is 24 hours often before you have any idea if its taken, let alone having your own stuff go live. The owners have a complex. I had to re register under a different email, cause they kicked my out for accidentally posting a single item twice in 30 days. :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Awww, too bad about the doe with twins. You'll test next time, for sure. That was an unnecessarily hard lesson, though.

With craziness here (tornadoes... in MA! and the loss of a friend) I forgot to send Plum's CAE test in. I tossed it in the mail, overnighted it ($26!!!!! Holy cow!) and forgot to indicate which test or put any money in the box! She is due this week. Fortunately, they called me...I did put my contact info in with the sample....and got it straightened out.

At least you'll have a nice visit to take your mind off the loss.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'm so sorry honey, that's rough. I killed a deer that ended up being pregnant in January and my children were watching hubby field dress it. They were not happy with me! I know it's not exactly the same but it was a hard pill to swallow and I can't imagine what you guys are going through with the goat. :hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh BB, I am so sorry about the doe. :hugs That would be my fear with the sheep. I had a Ewe last year I didn't know was bred...she delivered while I was out of state, and my dear friend found her and the little one....in the field. Luckily my friend knew what to do. Animals can sure hide it sometimes.
Glad you are content with the ones you have. that helps some.
Sounds like you are going to be pretty busy...but a good busy. Inlaws coming in...thats great!! Hope you all have a wonderful visit.
Oh, have you decided on a dog yet? I keep thinking about that...and forgetting to ask.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know my little doe fooled me. I had them all running together, since I had READ it was past breeding season. And one day I just noticed, "hey, it looks like she's getting an udder!". I think I had only a couple weeks' notice that a kid was coming, and no idea when to expect it!