Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Chicks are 2 weeks old and doing great. They're so sturdy already!

We planted 5 standard size apple trees.

Bought an old ford tractor at an auction. "Purrs like a tom cat in a creamery"

The Amish neighbor plowed a garden plot for us. It's upside down sod right now. We weeded our city garden and I transplanted a crop of volunteer dill and volunteer tomatoes over to the farm garden. I'm not terribly hopeful for them, but I'd regret not trying.

My lettuce garden looks fab, I'm hoping it is slow to bolt so I can enter in the county fair! We won grand champion vegetable last year with a cabbage from out city garden. Very cool, I want to enter something again this year!

We put netting over the blueberries. I can see green berries, and I suspect the deer were picking them off the tops of the bushes.

My goat is getting ornery for milking. She has started kicking - lifting her opposite back leg and slowly kicking at my hand. Stinker. :(

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Is three goat uncomfortable? She was standing fine before? A change in any animal like that usually indicates something is off. Hope she settles soon! Sounds like everything else is great!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with HQ. Sounds like something is different... Was her udder shaved before? Sometimes when the hair starts growing back it gets pulled when you're milking - one of my girls objects strongly to that, lol. Or, is she sore for some reason? Maybe you've unknowingly changed your grip or your technique. Hope you get it figured out!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I found some scratches on my goat's udder. They must have been bothering her.

I am getting bottle lambs tomorrow! 4 wool type girls and 2 meat type boys. We will eat one of the boys and save the other to breed. I am super excited! I'm traveling for work so my fiancé is getting all the fun of setting up a pen in the barn for them.

We're going to start making hay to save on feed costs for winter. Not sure the nutritional value of it compared to purchased alfalfa, but we're willing to try! We have a self-propelled push sickle mower.

My fiancé bought a cultivator for the tractor to start working the future garden plot.

My lettuce thinnings are HUGE! A big salad for us and enough to share with a friend.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There is something wrong with that goat. She barely comes out of the shelter anymore, isn't hanging out with the other goats, doesn't follow me around anymore, and had clotted blood in her nose on Monday. I couldn't get close enough to see yesterday. That is NOT normal, she is super tame and affectionate. She is still too thin and her coat is not at all improved. We don't have a goat expert vet around here. My vet will try her best. She is very good at equine and has a couple of pet goat clients. We just don't know where to start.

Bottle lambs are here. Ooooo! They are cute! :love: I'm worried about them. My fiancé (who is a vet) insists on mixing up their milk replacer with cold water. They are shivering after they eat. :( My favorite and my son's favorite will be super tame because we hold them to help them warm up after they eat. :love: My fave (Isabella) falls asleep while I hold her. My son's favorite (Natasha) hasn't quiet figured out that it's nicer to steal our body heat. She fusses a little bit still.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Lambs are sick and I'm very upset about it. Someone did not follow directions.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm sorry about that. I hope they'll be OK. :hugs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
They are doing better. They had electrolytes and antibiotic the morning I posted, electrolytes then next days. We didn't medicate yesterday or today. They're a bit scoury but attitude and appetite are normal.