Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What breed is she? Grats on getting a full size goat; they are more efficient on the feed to milk ratio than the pygmies are

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The goat, now named "Banana" is very sweet and tame. She is very well-trained for milking. She is nearly dried up. I'm continuing to milk the little bit she has. If I find milking is not too much commitment, we might breed her this fall. After I figure out her breed, lol :oops: I'm pretty sure she is a Sable (a colored Saanen).

Chicks arrived on Saturday! The free rare breed chick died today. I hope the rest make it. I worry because they seem to be eating their wood chip bedding. :confused:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yay goat!
Sorry about the chick. Wish I knew what to tell you, I don't know why theyd eat bedding.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Banana the diary goat saved my butt the other day. My son went through the goat pasture for a shortcut and left a gate open. The goats wandered out. Banana came to me. I was walking a petsitting dog that chases goats, so I leashed the dog and walked her fast to the shed building where here kennel is. Banana followed me and the 4 little goats followed her. Then I caught Banana and leashed her, and walked around the pen to the gate and walked in. The 4 little wild goats followed! She earned her feed! I was hoping that having a very tame goat would help us move them to the big pasture on the other side of the barn. Mission accomplished. :D

The RIR chicks are a week old and getting big! Eating a lot! My fiancé's brother has a couple of layer hens. 1 went broody and reared some chicks. He is planning on bringing them up to us this weekend. I don't want to end up with mixed breed chickens, so they would be meaties.

Which brings me to a question. The hatchery we got our RIR chicks from states that they tend to not go broody. We want to raise a large chicken flock, but do not want to deal with incubating eggs. I am wondering if we can introduce a different chicken breed that tends to be very broody and keep hens to sit on eggs - without ending up with mixed breed chickens. Maybe if the broody breed lays white eggs (RIR lay brown) and we're careful to take white eggs out of broody nests?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's what I'd do, or go w/a breed that lays small eggs, like a silkie. I believe their eggs are lighter in color than a RIR.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
See if you can get your fiance's brother to give you that broody hen-- she's already a proven mother. Also, the chicks might go broody as well, since they came from a broody hen... might want to consider keeping at least one hen from the lot to see.