Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pulled a dead calf from a cow this afternoon... head and 1 leg out... 1 leg hung up... looks like it might have been dead a few days, smelly fluid expelled...not showing anything yesterday.... must have finally gone into labor... good cow, if we can't find a calf tomorrow to graft, she will get dried up and put back with bull in June...
Lost a 600 + lb steer; several got snotty noses, acting off... that 's about $1800 buried in the landfill... OUCH.:th:barnie:he:he:hit:hit:hit:hit:th:th:somad:somad:somad😭😭😭😭😭

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Pulled a dead calf from a cow this afternoon... head and 1 leg out... 1 leg hung up... looks like it might have been dead a few days, smelly fluid expelled...not showing anything yesterday.... must have finally gone into labor... good cow, if we can't find a calf tomorrow to graft, she will get dried up and put back with bull in June...
Lost a 600 + lb steer; several got snotty noses, acting off... that 's about $1800 buried in the landfill... OUCH.:th:barnie:he:he:hit:hit:hit:hit:th:th:somad:somad:somad😭😭😭😭😭
Do cows accept other calves well? I've never had success with sheep. Skinning the deceased lamb and making a skin-jacket out of it on the rejected lamb has never worked here. :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m so sorry about your ewe and lambs. That’s a tough one, I have a 10 year old ewe with twins. She is still going strong. She is the last of the 4 original bred ewes BJ and I bought. A big pet, she paws my leg for attention and gives great hugs. She will get a long rest after weaning her lambs, I don’t care if she never has any more. I’ll let her call the shots on that. I know someday she will be gone, and with her, another memory, another piece of my husband. I will cry and grieve.

IMG_6078.jpeg

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@tortoise ... some cows will take a calf grafted on them pretty well, some do not. I have pretty good luck with getting them to take them normally... but this cow had very little in the way of an udder...
Unfortunately, she came in the barn the next day all swelled up in the vulva area, gave her antibiotics and she was at the bunk eating a little and went to the water trough and drank, so we decided to just get her over this, treat in case of infection,,,, dry her up and re-breed in June when we put the bulls in with the cows...... 2 days later DS found her dead... she must have torn inside or something, trying to calve , or when he pulled it although there was not alot of "red blood" just a watery smelly discharge of placental fluid and such.

I did have a nice heifer calf out of a first calf heifer today... buzzards were up there around where the placenta was, but she had moved the calf a bit... gave her some grain and saw the calf nurse... she is being a good mother so far... have about 8 due here anytime... all from a "new bull" we first used in June 2023... hope they are all as nice as this one... probably 65-70 lbs or so... not too small and not too big... I thought a different one would be first but my heifer surprised me... YAY !!!!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm home from a vacation to see the eclipse. I gotta say I don't enjoy travel much. The to-do list after returning home sucks any joy out of the experience 😞 I'm so far behind. I can't find time in my schedule to start my garden. 😭
Yep - coming home is definitely the downside of a vacation! Did you have a good view of the eclipse?