Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
You got lots done!
The rain started here yesterday afternoon too.I was just grateful that my hat but delivered and we were able to get the bale out yesterday rather than after the mud is knee deep!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Today was not a nice day, and tomorrow is supposed to be worse! It hovered around 50* all day. In fact, there was only a 5* difference from the lowest to the highest temp today. Add to that it was windy, and there were periods of rain. I wasn't 100% sure what all I was going to do-especially since I had my appointments today. I did manage to get some stuff done.

1. I folded and put away 4 loads of clothes. I had just been grabbing what either hubby or I needed from all these clothes. They're now away. I also ironed a couple of shirts.

2. I did a load of dishes. I still have more to go.

3. I made a fire. Didn't really want to, but it was 60* in here!

4. I raked up the remnants of a few RBs. This will be eventually coming home w/me and going in the garden. Also found some pieces of baling twine that apparently got put out accidentally w/the hay.

5. I don't know if it's going to do any good or not, but I put down some seed. I had wanted to rip up the field, lime it, etc B4 planting any seed. But since I'm not going to be staying too much longer, and wanted to use up the seed I bought, I went ahead and did it.

6. Because of the forecast, I stuffed the hay nets. Then, I put more hay out in the RB feeder, then filled all the water buckets. I'm almost wishing I hadn't taken the horse blankets home. But, w/both the hay and water in the run in, they can get out of the weather. Of course, it means I'm going to have a mess to clean up, but w/the weather, it can't be helped.

7. I took out the trash and the recyclables . Hubby had taken recyclables out yesterday but he dumped them in the trashcan! So, that meant I had to take them out and stick them where they belonged. Normally, I'll take stuff out the morning it's being picked up, but w/the forecast for tomorrow, I don't wanna!

I'm beat. I'm waiting for hubby to get out of the kitchen. Then, I'm going to make an artichoke and bacon for dinner. I want to get to bed earlier than I have been.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even on your 'off' days, you get a lot done Deb!
So, you've decided to move your horses? Found any good prospects, or do you mean when you sell your house now, and buy?
I wish I could put out RB's for my horses - they are horrible pigs, and will NOT quit eating until every speck is gone! Then, they run around with their big fat bellies, acting like they're starving to death and, since you're outside, you MUST feed them something before they faint from hunger! :rolleyes: The only thing both of mine need desparately is exercise!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We're hoping to be able to move next year. I'd love to be able to move this year, but I doubt very much that that is going to happen. And, I don't put out whole RB for my horses. I know them. Licorice especially would pull it to pieces, dump the hay on the ground, then walk thru it and poop and pee on it. Then of course it wouldn't get eaten. I've been peeling the RBs. I'm tired of doing that

Didn't get much done today. When we have these gray, rainy days, I drag. I had so much I was going to do since I couldn't work outside. But, I did nothing at the house. At the farm, I got my tack shed cleaned out. And I noticed that the rain was coming over the top of the gutter on the run in. So, I got my ladder out and checked it out. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't be draining properly. After all there's no trees close to there. What I found was about 2 inches of mud! So, I figure some of these strong winds we've been getting have been blowing a bunch of dirt in there. I cleaned it out the best I could.

Hubby got me a new incubator! It's not very big-it will only hold 7 eggs. But, since I don't want to do large hatches, I figure it should do just fine. It's the Brinsea mini eco. It came today. I'm going to get it all set up in just a bit. I just need to get some energy!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Stuck the eggs in it this morning. So, we'll see how it goes.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
More duck eggs or chickens this time? Hope this hatch goes well!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Chicken eggs. There are 8 ducklings at the farm right now, another duck sitting on eggs, and a 3rd that's getting a clutch going.

It finally stopped raining and got warm! In fact, when I got home, I put on a pair of shorts! I had planned on doing some work outside, but it was too hot! It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow, so I'd do some work outside tomorrow. Instead, I concentrated on the house.

I got the bathroom clean. I got some dishes done, I changed the sheets on the bed, and I got of the living room cleaned. I would have had more done, but got couple of phone calls that took longer than I was expecting. Plus, since I had to go to TSC, I got home later than I'd planned. But, my chickens appreciate that I went since I was out of chicken food! And, I also decided that I was going to buy some stuff that I wanted, and didn't care what hubby said. They had a long sleeved, button down shirt that I really liked, so I bought it. They also had some plastic mesh that I want to put over top of my chickens. What I have is just not sturdy enough, and is ripping. Plus, the holes are really small, which means, depending on what the snow is like, it doesn't fall thru, but instead sticks.

I made lasagna for dinner and got upset w/hubby. I bought mozzarella cheese specifically for making the lasagna and hubby opened it up and ate half of it. :pullinghair: I HATE it when he does that, and this isn't the first time. I've told him NOT to use something that I buy, but he STILL does it.

I've also come to the conclusion that I cannot wait for him to do the stuff that he keeps promising to do. Instead, I'm going to tell him that if he doesn't do it, I am-even if I don't know how. The windows in my shed are horrible-they leak if it rains heavily, unless I caulk them in! If I had realized what they were like when I got them, I never would have. Hubby's been saying for years that he's going to replace them. Last year, he bought the windows, but they're still not in. I had to mop up water constantly while I was there yesterday, and of course, it was soaked there when I got to the farm. B4 the next heavy rainfall, they're getting replaced.

My RB feeder is just too big for my horses. It was one thing when I was doing pony rides, and was caring for more animals. I used the tractor to move it, and stuck a whole RB in it. But since I now have just my 3, I don't need something this size. I want to make one 2/3 the size, then sell this one. This one has a 9 ft diameter, so it's very difficult for me to move it. And, so the hay doesn't get pushed to the middle where it would be hard to reach, I have a big wooden spool in the center. In order to move it, I have to put my mounting block inside of it, then pick up the bottom, and walk up the mounting block, then step on the spool. By doing this, I'm able to get it up on it's side, then roll both the spool and the RB feeder to a new spot. I drew up the plans over a year ago, hubby is supposed to teach me how to weld, and that's supposed to be one of the first things.

I'm tired of not having my motorcycle. I'm tired of not having my small horse trailer. I'm tired of having a house that's not done. So, I'm going to just go ahead and start doing stuff, whether I know how to or not. I figure I can always learn.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Good for you! I know you'll get lots done! You are amazing like that!
The strewing hay everywhere issue is why we built or own feeder. It didn't end up being that expensive in lumber, and now we sell them. They have done pretty good. I believe we're delivering number six this weekend and we have a customer that just brought out very first one that we have been using and we'll rebuild ours over the summer. That customer may end up with a second one as well eventually. I just couldn't stand wasted hay!

Latest posts