Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm beat and about ready for bed! Today was a very tiring day. And, I'm glad it's trying to rain-I stopped working earlier than I'd planned. I got the following done.

1. Practice the piano and the clarinet. I've found that I am now able to sing alto when I play a song! I've never been able to do that B4, so I'm really excited about that.

2. Got all the dishes done. Of course, I've since made a few dirty, but at least for awhile, they were all done.

3. Cleaned half of the kitchen. It was a disaster. One problem was hubby had a ton of wine bottles on the counter. They take up a lot of room. He kept saying that he was going to go thru them, and get rid of some of them, but hasn't done so yet. So, I pulled them all out so I could wash the counter where they were. And, I didn't put them back. This gives him an incentive to get rid of them cuz I'm not touching them!

4. Someone that I know is needing help occasionally. And while it's not a job perse, it is work. Anything I get from it is going for riding lessons. I doubt that I'll be able to afford a lesson every week, but even if I get them every other week, it will be good. Today I spent 3 hours on a tractor mowing. So, that gives me about 1/2 of what I need for a lesson.

5. I washed a load of clothes this morning. I had planned on putting them out on the line once I got home, but it was trying to rain. So, I threw them in the dryer. I did get the clothes off the line, and brought in the last horse blanket.

6. I finished that last little section in the area of the garden I was working on. I had been going to start the last area and get raspberries moved, but it was trying to rain, so I didn't.

Right now, I'm struggling to keep my eyes opened. We're getting take outs for dinner. Once I've eaten, I'm planning on getting a shower, then going to bed early. I'm beat!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I was so beat I went to bed around 9:00. I hit the alarm when it went off at 5:00, and it didn't go off again, don't know why. I got up at 5:30, and am still feeling tired. Don't know what all I'm getting done today because of the weather. Fun thing is going to be taking the goats to the farm. We have the vet coming to do shots, so I'll be taking them out for at least their rabies. The other shots I can do myself, but only vets can buy rabies shots in the state of NJ.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Just the 2. I went ahead and had her do the shots as well. I could have gotten them cheaper if I had ordered them, but this way, it's done. And, it cost less than I was expecting in spite of the fact that Stormy needed some extra meds-his heaves are acting up. I'm wondering if she charged me for that.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sometimes a vet will cut you a discount if you're having them do several animals at the same time-- it saves them travel time

Denim Deb

Reaction score
She did cut us a deal. But I think that she forgot to charge me for his meds. The price that I paid is what I thought it would be for just the shots. I left my receipt at the farm, so I can't check. If she didn't charge me for everything, I'll need to call and let her know.

Today for the first time since I got livestock, I had ALL of my animals in one spot! I could see my horses, my goats and my chickens all at the same time! It felt good, and it felt right. The goats where not quite sure what to think of the farm. If I was w/them, they were fine. They were eating the weeds, and running around some. But, if I left the field, they were not happy and let everyone know! And, they found that they could get under the gate into the area by my tack shed.

The vet was late getting there. She had an emergency call, and had to go to that first. I was really feeling tired, so I thought I'd try to take a nap. Even though I left the door opened so the goats could see me, they were still upset that I wasn't right there. So I've decided that I'm going to have to start taking them out to the farm periodically. I want them to get used to being w/the horses so that when I do get my own place, I can have everyone together w/no problem. Plus, I figure they can eat some of the weeds-including the honeysuckle that's growing on my fence!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It feels so good to sit down! But what feels even better is knowing that I got quite a bit done.

1. I worked on rearranging the kitchen some more. W/the stuff that I've moved, it frees up a lot more counter space-or at least it will once I'm completely done w/all of it. I had hoped to get home early enough to finish. That didn't happen, so it will have to wait.

2. Since I'm going to be putting up a larger hay shelter, I needed to redo the fencing around my tack shed and hay shelter. If she didn't have a trailer body parallel to my fence, I would have been able to go back farther, and if I hadn't wanted to leave enough room to get thru w/a lawn mower, I could have had the fence back farther, but it is what it is. I'm not sure if I'm going to leave room behind the shelter or not. It will have 2.5 ft on either side so I can mow.

In order to redo the fence, I had to pull the staples out of the fence, then pull the posts out. I found that if I rocked them around a bit, I could pull them out w/out digging, or getting the tractor! Then once I got the one section out, I got the fence from the other section. I never finished that section, and that was the longer piece of fence, so I had to take that down. That was easy-it was only tied on. So, I cut the baling twine, got it down and put it up where it belonged. It was more than long enough. I didn't get it all stapled back on, so I just tied it in place.

The other section was easier to do. I only had to move one posts. And since I never finished this section, I had to put in another post. I took an old 4x4, and cut it to size. Then I took the other section of fence and tied it in place. And since it's supposed to tie into the lean-to hubby's supposed to build for my mower, I ran it over to the end of my shed. It just fit. But, it looks better.

3. RU had a bunch of old 4x4s by my area. I didn't really want them there since they're in my way. I started to move and sort them the other day. Some of them were the ones I had sorted out for my RP-she dumped the others on top. So, I moved all of them. The ones I want are in my area. The rest are stacked in a spot where the grass doesn't really grow.

4. RU had a RB in the middle of where you pull into the parking area. I was able to roll that out of the way. Plus, since it could rain, I threw a tarp over it and tied it down. I also put a rope up to keep my horses from eating it.

5. LF got a new horse-a Rocky Mountain horse. She had her saddled up, so I rode her for a few minutes. She's a nice enough horse, but I much prefer Misty. I didn't ride long. Her saddle is leather and is very stiff. The bottom of the fender (the leather part that the stirrup is attached to) was digging into my ankle. Pus, when I went to take my foot out of the stirrup, I found that it was stuck in the top of my shoe! I had to have someone get my foot out. But, it felt good to get back in the saddle. I need to get Misty going. I'm about to the point where I'm all caught up out there again!

I got home and I collapsed. I'm hoping I can get some more energy. I want to go out and work in the garden. It wouldn't have been so bad working today if it hadn't been so humid.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I can cross one thing off of my to do list! I went over this morning and got the rest of that fence down. It is now in the back of my truck and will go out to the farm w/me this afternoon! I hope RU really appreciates the amount of time I spent getting her this fence. There's about 250' of it. And, while I won't use it for my animals, I know she doesn't have a problem using it for hers.