Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never done it B4. This is an experiment.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
The upland style, blue bonnet. I got it from Baker's Creek. I figured it was cheap enough to give it a shot.

It cleared up for most of the day, and now it's raining again! I was able to get some stuff in the garden B4 it hit, but not everything. I don't know if I'll have time in the morning or not. If I don't, I won't be able to get to it until Wednesday.

While it's not quite opened the way I want it, my chickens now have access to the 2nd house! And I got my first egg out of there! Hopefully they'll decided in just a short period of time that this 2nd house is OK to use.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Going to be another cool, rainy day. I don't know that I'll get stuff done in the garden, but at least I can do stuff in the house. At least it's not supposed to rain all day. I'm supposed to go on a motorcycle run tonight, don't know yet if that will happen. So for today I'm planning on doing the following:

1. Housework
2. Normal farm chores
3. Clean out hay shelter
4. Bible study
5. If it's not raining, move hay
6. Dishes
7. Home animals
8. Laundry
9. Start vine crops
10. Motorcycle run

Guess I should get started.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is supposed to be cloudy w/just a slight chance of showers. So, as long as I can get my trailer out, I have a lesson. I'll be trying that as soon as I get everyone fed!

Since I wasn't able to get my hay out until yesterday, some of the bales have gotten really wet. And since I knew I wouldn't be able to feed them B4 they started to mold, I'm selling what I can't use of that real quick to RU. I'm glad I didn't go to the auction yesterday. I doubt they would have had much and what they had would have gone for a lot.

The roofing I have for my chicken house has a hole in it. I wasn't worried about that since it's too long and I need to cut it down to size. I thought I had it past where the hole is. Nope, so it's all wet in there. I threw a tarp over it yesterday. I'm hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow. If not, I'll get the roof off and cut down to size. I'm wanting to put an outside perch on the house and use that piece for a cover-providing I have a big enough piece left. So, we'll see. I can also finish getting that area all set up.

I didn't get to my dishes or laundry yesterday. I'm going to try to do some if it B4 I leave today. So my list for today is:

1. Dishes
2. Laundry
3. Trash and recyclables
4. Housework
5. Normal farm chores
6. Lesson
7. Work
8. Work in garden
9. Feed animals at home
10. Start vine crops

I think that's enough for today and I should get stated.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's on the list for tomorrow!

I'm tired, but I got my list all done! And, I have another broody! As much as I'm happy to have her, I'm also wondering how I'm going to make this work. I already have to put my oldest chicks out earlier than I'd planned because I have one ready to hatch out eggs this weekend. I don't know that I want to have all 11 chicks in the one half. I have 4 chicks at home that will be 3 weeks old this weekend. They'll be ready to go out to the farm about the same time that these eggs hatch out. I'm wondering if, even though they'll be 3 weeks older, if I could get them to accept my broody and if I could get my broody to accept them. The other option is to put a small dog house in one corner of my pen, and section it off. I just hope no one else goes broody on me for awhile!

The new house is working great! Only problem being, my hens are now all laying in there and not in the old house. I'm wondering what they'll do when I eventually have 3 houses in there. I'd eventually like to have 3 separate flocks, one in each house. I'm just not sure how I can work that.

Am I allowed to be jealous of my son? He got home the other day, and found a young kitten in his yard. My cat hating son now has a really cute kitten. I'm not 100% sure of how her markings are, but she looks like a tuxedo tortoise shell. The good thing is, his husky has accepted her-even when the kitten tries to nurse! I haven't seen her yet, just pics of her. Maybe I can sneak over in the middle of the night and steal her.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Same here. At times I really miss both my cat and dog, but I just don't have the time I need to get either right now. :(

It's dry for right now, so I'm hoping I can get some stuff done. I need to clean my field-I just hope I can dump it! It's so wet that I'm not sure I can get to the back. I'm also hoping I can mow. Yesterday I had standing water. I'm hoping it's gone.

I get that all done and I'll go back to working in the chicken area. And since the ground is hopefully soft enough, if I can, I really need to move the one fence post over for getting into my section. I have to have the mower lined up just right to get thru it, and the manure spreader doesn't fit. We'll see. It depends entirely on how long it takes me to do the other.

On the off chance that I have some more time, I really need to clean my shed. Hubby keeps saying he's going to do my lean to. I need it badly. It would make my life so much easier because I could finally get my area all arranged the way I want it.

I also need to clean the bathroom and do some dishes. I was going to do dishes last night. It would have had me all caught up again. But I got home so much later than I'd planned that I just didn't have time. And I'm hoping I can get out in the garden and finish planting the rice and corn. Tomorrow is supposed to be dryer, then they're calling for sun on Saturday and Sunday! So, that should help them take off.

And I have a dentist appointment for a teeth cleaning. Unless I have a dental emergency in the next several months, this is it for this dentist. We're going to find a new one.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I was able to get my field all cleaned, but it took longer than expected. I wasn't able to clean it on Monday due to the weather. But, I couldn't dump it. So I have both the cart and the manure spreader w/manure in them.

I also mowed the field. It's starting to look better due to the rain. I'm actually starting to see grass.

I wasn't able to do anything else. I got my teeth cleaned and they told me they wanted to fix 2 more teeth. I told them no. The one is one I already had a root canal on. They wanted to refill it. The other is a cavity they "found" today. OK, they did x-rays just 3 weeks ago. If there's a cavity, why didn't they find it then? I know there could be one, but I'll risk it.

Once home, I relaxed for a bit, then got dinner going. I made stuffed shells. While that was cooking, I went out and worked in the garden. I got the rest of the rice planted as well as my first planting of corn! Next year I think I'm going w/3 varieties instead of 1. If I can get an early, mid and late crop that I can put in all at the same time, it will make my life easier since I plant my beans in w/the corn. I let the corn get up a bit B4 I plant the beans, otherwise the corn doesn't do that well. It gets smothered by the beans.

After dinner, I did dishes, then got a shower. Now I'm relaxing for a bit the heading to bed.