Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm eager to hear how the rice does for you. I saw that upland rice also and was very interested in it.

Hope you can find a dentist you trust!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Same here! I won't let him drill another of my teeth. I wasn't happy w/the filling when he did it. There's no way I'm going to let him do another tooth.

As for the rice, some I started inside, some I direct planted. I want to see if there's a difference. They say to soak the seeds first. I didn't do that, but when I started it, I tried soaking some and just planting some. It both came up. I have a little bit left, so I might try soaking it and finding a place in the orchard to try it.

It started raining again last night! I wasn't expecting that and left the mower uncovered as well as the manure. It's so much harder to dump it if it's wet, and almost impossible to spread! :barnie Oh well. But I do think I'll be covering it today.

I have to go to the farm and feed this morning, then head to a volunteer meeting at the Nature Center. Then I'm heading home. DD and I are going out to lunch, then going to do some shopping. Originally we were going to meet up, but she has a chiropractor's appointment at 11:00.

My sister is flying in from Florida and she and I are going food shopping later. Yesterday was our parents 60th wedding anniversary. So, she and I are making a nice family dinner tomorrow. Other than chicken and mashed potatoes, I'm not sure of what all we're having. I'm glad she's coming up. Otherwise, I would have been doing it all. I don't mind so much, but since my mom doesn't really go out, I have to cook at their house, or cook at mine and it makes it tough.

So, I don't think I'm going to get much done today. I'm going to be too busy shopping to do much of anything!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
DD and I had a nice time together. I was able to get some clothes I needed and I got 2 more varieties of corn. I'll be planting them tomorrow. They both have different days for maturity, so I'm going to see how this works. Then in just a couple of weeks I'll be able to plant my beans. I also want to plant some okra. I read someplace that you can plant it next to your peppers to help support them, so I want to try that. My vine crops are started. So, I should have everything in by mid July at the latest! I may even be able to try planting some stuff for fall crops!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well they've changed the forecast from dry to wet. Good thing we didn't plan a BBQ for my parents! I am hoping to get out and plant the rest of my corn. Other than that, all I'm planning on is some housework. I don't wanna, but I also don't want to sit around and do nothing.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm tired! I was able to get my corn in, then weeded a bucket of stuff out of the orchard. The goats were quite happy w/me for that.

I also did some housework, then headed over to my parents. Hubby threw his back out, so he didn't go. Neither of my kids could make it, but my sister and 1 brother both made it as well as my brother's 2 daughters. My other brother lives in Germany, so I wasn't really expecting him. We had a good dinner. Sis roasted a chicken, and hubby smoked one. So, we had 2 chickens (I liked hubby's better), mashed potatoes and gravy, flaky biscuits, asparagus, corn and cake. Then Sis and I did something we haven't done in years-we did dishes together. And, we didn't fight.

After that, I headed over to the farm. I have 4 new chicks! There's still 2 eggs that haven't hatched, so I didn't move them. I'll let her go another night. I have the one side of the broody pen all set up for her, so it will be easy to move them tomorrow.

Since I didn't want 11 birds in the other half of my broody pen, I decided to leave the older chicks out. Of course they wanted in w/the others, but I wouldn't let them. Only problem being, I wasn't sure the rest of the chickens would let them in anyplace. Then I realized something. Even though I have the new house built, other than for laying eggs, none of the chickens are using it. I don't have the fence completely moved, so I was able to put some food and water in there, and lock the chicks in there.

Of course by the time I got done all this, it was almost dark. So I headed for home. Stopped and got gas first, then fed animals and watered the seeds I planted the other day. Some are already coming up!

Now I'm relaxing for a bit and hope to go to bed soon.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was a very busy, tiring day. I did some work in the basement. I needed to find my water shoes, so I had to clean some of the basement. I found them.

I wasn't going to go to church this morning cuz I had Water Fest today at the Nature Center. Well, they needed me to teach the ladies SS class. So, I went to church, taught, played the piano for the kids then went to the Nature Center. I helped w/the free canoeing/kayaking they had going on for a few hours, then helped w/the clean up.

Once Water Fest was over, I ran out to the farm and got all my chores done there, then came home and got everything done here. I am now relaxing and thinking of going to bed soon. I'm tired.