Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wasn't too happy when I got there this afternoon. My pen has a 6 ft. fence. But when I divided my broody pen in half, I only had a 5 ft. piece of fencing. So, I have my broody in one half, my momma w/3 chicks in the other. The momma and 1 chick were in the other half and had kicked the broody off the nest. I didn't have time today, but tomorrow I'll be patching that gap w/some more fencing so she can't get over again. Plus, that's how I've had 2 older chicks get hurt by a mad broody, so it's probably a smart idea.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well the number 7 makes perfect sense if that is the size of your incubator. my incubator holds 42 hen eggs so i would have been stuffing as many eggs as she could hold under her and hoping for the best. I've got two duck hens trying to sit on one egg so I'm thinking about putting a bunch of chicken eggs under them to see if they will hatch them. all i have to loose is a dozen or so eggs.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
If I had my chickens at home and was set up for raising more than that at a time, I'd go for a bigger incubator, but I'm limited to what I can do. Plus, I don't have a lot of time to be cleaning up after chicks.

I'm waiting for hubby to leave for work. And, once he's gone, I'm going to get busy. I have a lot to do today-especially since they're calling for T storms tonight and tomorrow! I wasn't able to get any of the chicken house done over the weekend, and doubt I'll be able to do it today. I'm going canoeing, so I have to leave early. So my plan for today is:

1. Laundry
2. Housework
3. Normal animal chores
4. Canoeing
5. Clean field
6. Garden/yard/orchard
7. Dishes

I had planned on doing the dishes last night, but I went out and weeded part of hubby's garden. He doesn't have anything planted in it, so I want to get some stuff in tonight. They're calling for T storms tonight and tomorrow. And by the time I got in, he was asleep, so I couldn't do them then. It would have woke him up, and I just didn't feel like dealing w/him.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i wanna go canoeing... i love to canoe but have no one to go with, everyone i use to go with now has some kind of ache or pain that makes them not want to go. getting old is not for sissys. thought about learning to kayak so i can go by myself. and deb i am blessed in that i have lots of room to have chickens, ducks, goats etc. sometimes i have more room then sense.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ooh! Canoeing sounds exciting!! :D
Too bad down here in the desert there's not much places (that I know of) that canoeing would work out :/
Chick, chicks and more chicks!! :3 always so flippin adorable, Twinnie and I have to be sternly no when we go to the feed store or any farm store ^,^; otherwise half the neighbourhood would have chickens all around!

Hoping you get everything you plan to get done done! And the t storms are calm! :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Goatgurl, my canoe is only 11' 9". And, it only weighs about 40 lbs. It's a solo canoe. I think they've change how they're made a bit. This is a newer model of what I have. http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreation/discovery_119/ I thought about getting a kayak instead, but I've found the canoe to be more versatile. Plus, when I finally get my dog, she'll be coming w/me. And, it's much easier to put a dog in a canoe than in a solo kayak!

Creativetwinszoo, still no T storms. I hope they're not bad, but we really need the rain.

I'm beat! I woke up this morning at 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. Hubby left late for work today, so I wasn't able to do anything until he did. I was going to wash dishes this evening, but decided I'd wash some in the morning instead. It's a good thing I did. I had no other time.

When I got to the farm this morning and went to let my chickens out, I found my momma and all 3 babies in where the broody belongs and she was in their area trying to get out. So, I caught her, then kicked out the momma and her babies out. I had one piece of fencing that was the right width, but not long enough. So, I put that up B4 leaving to go canoeing. I closed the door into the broody area for just in case. When I got back, I cut some more fencing and finished filling in the gap. So hopefully the momma will leave her alone now.

Canoeing was good. And it's a good thing I went. We were looking for recent beaver activity. A couple of times, I pulled up to the bank and got out to look closer. I honestly don't think anyone else could have done it. They were in kayaks I was in my canoe. It's a bit easier to get in and out of. Found what could be fairly recent activity, so that's good. There's an evening canoeing next week, so some of us are going to stay out on the lake later to see if we see them.

Once I finally got home, I relaxed for a bit, then went out and worked on planting stuff. And I'm happy to report that all of the starts and flowers I had waiting to go in are in! I don't know that they'll do much, but at least I'm not looking at them every time I walk past them. It's supposed to rain overnight and into tomorrow. So, I'm glad I have them in.

I got done much later than planned. I had been going to do dishes. Instead, I think I'm going to go to bed!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's raining! And while we really needed it, I just wish it had been some other day than today. I had hoped to go to the hay auction. Guess that ain't happening. I don't know if I'll need to put Stormy's rain sheet on him or not. He's put on weight and it's not as cold, so he may be OK. But, w/the rain, I'm just not sure what all I'll get done at the farm. I'm glad I have Bible study this morning. I'm thinking I'll probably clean my tack shed this afternoon. So my list for today is:

1. Dishes
2. Laundry
3. Housework
4. Normal animal chores
5. Bible study
6. Clean tack shed

Hubby's left for work, so I need to get started. I'm hoping to get a lot done inside today. I'm tired of the mess.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thanks for the canoe info. i looked and found a dealer within a reasonable distance of me. gonna go look. i really prefer a canoe too, i knew i would have to tump myself out in the water to get out, lol and like fem says I'd like to have some rain too.