Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Had a lesson today, but didn't have my ankle strapped. It's still not 100%, so I had some trouble, but was still able to ride. The majority of my lessons are in her patch of woods. I'm not really an arena rider. There's also a big field next to the woods w/a bunch of different types of jumps set up. When we got back there, there were 9 deer! They ran into the woods, but not far. And, they kept coming out. At one point in time, Misty did a major spook. I'm happy to report that it didn't unseat me. I've never come off of her when she's spooked like that, but have come close a couple of times. I'm riding better than I ever have and I can see the difference.

For those that remember LS from several pages back in my journal, she and Willow have now left the farm. Sad thing is, there's not a person there that misses her.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you got to ride! Even more glad to hear that you stuck through the spooking episode. I love to see deer. The family member that bought M-I-L's place is turning it into an exotic hunting resort. Problem is that some of the deer (Axis) are so tame you can practically walk right up to them. Hate for them to be on the hunting list when they're so trusting of humans.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's kind of what these deer are like. They're so used to people riding there that they basically just stand there and look at you. I counted 9. They'd go into the woods, but not very far. One of them started to run-which is what spooked Misty. We didn't really work on a lot of other stuff, but I figured this was a very good lesson for her. By the time we were done, she seemed to be fine w/the deer.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
:lol: No, the deer were in the field and the woods where I was riding my horse!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a friend that used his horse for hunting. He could walk right up on deer. He said the horse smell helped mask the human scent. His horse would let him shoot from the horse. I suppose that took a lot of training but his family was horse people riding everyday after work and go on long rides every weekend. When you get on one of his horses you better be ready to giddyup!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm slowly but surely getting firewood done. I had hoped to have it all done B4 it ever got cold out. Needless to say, that didn't happen. But I managed to fill the wood holder in my basement last evening, then today got done enough wood to fill it another 2 times at least. I also took a short walk in the woods. There's a ton that I can get to easily. I hope it doesn't rain next Saturday. I want to get as much home as I can.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slow and steady wins the race, lol. Hope you get it done soon. Glad you got to walk in the woods! Must mean ya'll are not getting all this horrid rain that we've been getting. We are close to 5 inches...ugh!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yay! Deb! So good to see you (read you??) again! :hugs I'm sorry you're still stuck at RU's. That's rough. That was how it was before I moved off the other farm, and I had to live there. It wasn't fun, so I feel you pain! I hope that something better comes along quickly! Hopefully I'll be able to be around a little more again, too.