Dreaming...

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@sumi to many close neighbors on that last one. keep looking. unless you like neighbors that is. and a haunted guesthouse, how cool. did ya see any ghosts? any answers to your private ad?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my, it's kinda in the middle of town! LOL I just checked the map, oops..

I didn't see any ghosts, thankfully! I think that would've been a bit much. We had something knocking on and on and on on the door in the evening, not long after we checked in. I thought it was our hostess and remember thinking wow, this woman is impatient! What's wrong with a quick knock and wait? It was only when I opened the door that the knocking finally stopped and there was, of course, no-one to be seen, which was a bit discomforting. Late that evening when I was trying to sleep I felt something press on the bed, on each side of my legs, so I kicked it. I was half asleep, o.k! LOL So I gave it a good kick and then went ehh, hang on... What was that? Needless to say it took me awhile to get to sleep that night.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My house is haunted. It was built by a couple in their 70's who were forced out of their ranch by eminent domain. Their ranch now lies at the bottom of a large man made lake. They died and we bought the house from their grown children. The old man appeared to the children at night, like he was keeping watch on them. They were never afraid of him, but woke up under his intent stare. I told the kids to tell him to stop waking them up and find something else to do. They did and were not awakened in the middle of the night anymore. Occasionally there will be a unexplainable noise that makes the dogs growl and I figure it's just the old couple watching over us.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When my daughter was 17, my DH and I had to go to Alabama to see to his mother. DD didn't want to go, had massive school work. she was studying and phones in the house started ringing. She answered, no one there. They kept ringing. She unplugged the phones and they continued to ring. She raised her head and spoke to our ghosts, "Look I know ya'll are worried about me, but I am ok. I really have to study for these tests." The phones went silent.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I must say most of my own spooky experiences and the ones I've heard of were more mischievous than malicious. A few years ago I worked in a cafe/take-away in the town we lived in and that building was haunted by a tall man wearing black clothes. I caught a glimpse of him a few times, but I never saw his face. We used to hear him walk around the shop, sometimes upstairs, sometimes downstairs, and we eventually got used to him. He never bothered us, he pretty much ignored us, until I made the mistake of acknowledging the presence and then the fun started. One day I was alone and busy in the kitchen when I heard someone walking in front of the shop. Me, thinking it's a customer stopped what I was doing and went to the front to see, so of course the footstep stopped and there was no-one to be seen. I went back to the kitchen and continued with my work and heard the footsteps again, so I went to the front to check and they stopped, no-one there. Over and over we did that until I got tired and told him to stop messing with me, I'm trying to work. He stopped after that.

The coolest experience I had with him was the day I resigned. I had a meeting upstairs with my boss and afterwards walked down the wooden steps and I could clearly hear the footsteps of someone behind me, like someone was following me downstairs. Though I knew no-one was there, I looked back and heard "someone" tapping hard on the step 2 above from where I was standing... :)

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule you are going to miss you "friends" when you move. and won't the new owners be surprised to meet them, lol. @sumi neat experiences both at the guesthouse and at work. any news of the house sales?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Our current property consists of a main house with an attached "granny flat" where MIL lives and our barn conversion flat, where we're staying. The main house was/is used as a B&B and occasionally we rent it out for short-term tenants, like contractors coming to town to do big jobs.

Yesterday a couple came to ask if they could rent the main house on a monthly basis, while they finish building their house. We were keen on the idea as the $$ would be welcome, but then they mentioned they have 4 Jack Russels (I have free range chickens and MIL has 3 cats) and the husband part of the couple asked DH if he could bring his Marijuana plants with :thTo each to their own, but we are trying to sell this place... Not to mention I love my chickens and I know Jack Russels. (Trouble on 4 paws) I think we'll pass this one, unless they can find alternative accommodation for the dogs and the plants lol