Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, I have to agree with Deb. If you aren't used to it, it makes it harder to deal with for sure! I hope the cold spell passes quickly. I am SOOOO ready for Spring!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You speak the truth Deb - we are just not set up for this.

I've got a doe due in about 10 days and I hope this mess is over with by then. However, I will say I've never lost a baby to the cold - but I've lost several in the heat and humidity. It's easier to add heat than to take it away!

I'm more worried about this little doe delivering...she's an itty, bitty pygmy and it's her first time so there's always a certain amount of anxiety that goes along with that. But, my girls have been delivering pretty easily the last decade or so. When I stopped showing and kicked 'em out in the pasture where they get lots of exercise it makes a big difference.

Finished up the new shelter for the Sussex and moved them into it. Locked them little buggers in there until they figger out that it's home. I'll give 'em a day or so and then let them out - and hope they stay put!

Still have tomorrow to finish up some last minute winterizing chores. I'll put out fresh bedding so everybody has a warm place to snuggle into. Hopefully, we'll be ok on the home front as long as we have power...if not, we'll run the generator, but I don't know if it's big enough to pull the central heat. If not, we've got space heaters or a blow dryer or a gazillion candles, lol.

Biggest problem around here will be the same as Friday - frozen precipitation. They're saying we're more likely to get snow out of this one - that it's a much stronger storm. They keep changing the forecast...started out calling for high 20's...then they dropped it to mid-20's now they've lowered it again to 24. Been a VERY long time since we've been that cold around here.

I know a bunch of ya'll will be getting a lot worse - so hang on everybody! Stay warm and safe. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's blistering hot here...in my kitchen :p

I hope the doe kids easily for you sis!! We'll require pics of the baby(ies) A.S.A.P.!!
I think we could all use a little Spring right now!!!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too .... need...spring...

I'll post pics if/when I figger out how to do it in this new format, lol. Haven't tried it yet...

Woohoo! College is closed tomorrow - another day off for meeeeeeee. Not sure about Wednesday yet, may be closed then too.

Caught a bunch of stooopid chickens tonight, clipped wings and shoved 'em into where ever I could find a place for 'em. Besides being stoooopid and roosting outside, I lost a roo to a predator. First time in a long time - so.... ugh.

I think we've battened down all the hatches and are pretty much ready for whatever happens tonight and tomorrow. Think I'll stay in my jammies all day (right...sure) and sip hot tea and eat cookies. LOL - what a fantasy that is - can't stay in my jammies, I'll probably be outside in the thick of it. I'm not sure I own any jammies...t-shirts work for me...and cookies are off the diet plan for now. Geeze, can't a gal have any fun?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
How you're hanging in there. Doesn't matter where you're from, nobody drives on ice.
It's been bitter cold here too. There are places that live like this and I don't want to live in them!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today was bad - but not nearly as bad as 'they' were predicting. It was one of those days where the high temp was early morning and it just kept getting colder all day long. We dropped below freezing early this afternoon while it was sleeting on my head, lol, heading for a low of 24. Nothing compared to my northern neighbors...but cold enough for me!

Supposed to go back to work tomorrow. I imagine I'll either be late getting there or come home early. I need to turn the water back on and get it to the critters somehow. I've drained two hoses so hopefully I can hook them up tomorrow and just drag 'em from pen to pen.

I picked three big ol' cabbage heads today and we ate half of one tonight. Yum, sautéed it up with some of the last of the smoked links from the pigs we butchered. It was nice to have a meal that originated right here on the little farmette.

I've still gotta head out one more time to find any last stoooopid chickens that I didn't get off the fences last night. I'll clip their wings and toss em in a shelter and that is gonna have to do.

I'm determined to get in the hot tub tonight. I tried this afternoon after I'd been outside for a couple hours. I thought it would be the perrrrrrfect way to thaw out and wouldn't ya know it - someone had turned it down and it was only 97 degrees...argh! I prefer to cook at 102 or 103.

Okay - back outside for the very last darn time tonight, then hot tub time.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
LOL...you're killing me with the hot tub comments..... -2 already, on it's way back down tonight.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my.... -2 is C.R.A.Z.Y!

I've gotta admit that the hot tub is our very BEST purchase. We had saved our money for a trip to Italy and due to some tough circumstances, "life" got in the way. We couldn't go and we needed a 'comfort' purchase at that time in our lives - so this was it! And, the colder it is outside - the more we use it!

Still need to get to Italy...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We topped out at 18 today. Hot tub sounds nice....cept mine is going to be a hot. tub. here shortly, and not a hot tub :p