Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Sending warm healing mother energy to her and you! I hope by now its all over!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got up this morning, picked up the pistol and went outside to do the deed. I can’t let her lay out there and die a slow, miserable death. Her ligaments disappeared Saturday afternoon. Birth usually takes place within 12 hours after the ligaments soften. Not this goat.

She showed absolutely no progress for 32 hours. I had gone in and checked her at 24 hours and there was nothing, nada, no dilation. At 30 hours I checked her internally again – minimal dilation at best.

I sat in her stall most of yesterday evening just trying to get a handle on her progress (or lack of). I checked her for the last time around 12:30am this morning – still nothing… no baby in the birth canal, no dilation…nada…nothing…just a lot of frustration. Lie down, get up, paw, have a baby push, pant, walk around, stand with head against the wall…. (and that’s just ME!) I’m really bamboozled and confused as to what’s going on here…

I finally went to bed after 1am this morning told DH we’d probably have to do the deed before work. I hate, hate, hate it when this happens.

I go outside this morning, gun in hand, walk into her stall. She’s in the same place she was in last night. She gets up, walks over to me and puts her head against my leg and I tear up. I can’t even see to shoot her if I wanted to – and I really don’t want to. That’s when I hear a squeak and can barely see movement in the corner! Two of ‘em …looking all cute and adoreable, lol! So, sometime between 1am and 5am this morning she went and did it! All by herself – just like nature intended I guess. Do I even have to tell you how much I hate this goat, lol!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So glad she had them. She was just waiting for you to go to bed. Guess she wanted some privacy.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I bout had a coronary before I got to the end of that post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had a friend have a very nice goat have to be put down a few days ago due to double breach, was really really sad and I was thinking...ugh...noooooooo...not another one the whole time I was reading that :p Glad she popped em out! That is a long labor. I don't know that I wouldn't retire her after that. How old is she?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - I'm sorry....(but that's the way I felt for a day and a half! Geeze, this stupid goat.

It was her first time! Now, I've gotta say she was NOT in hard labor all that time.... she just drug out the first stage labor for over 30 hours...Her ligaments were GONE Saturday afternoon and she didn't give birth until Monday morning.

I NEVER saw her give a good hard push...just little tiny pushes and then up, down, pawing, crying, restless, I don't wanna do this type behavior. She saved the good stuff until after I finally went to bed. So, in the space from 1am until sometime before 5am she had 'em, dried em off, fed 'em and rested. So, if I hadn't been so stressed it mighta been the perfect birth, lol.

I think from now on I'm just gonna let nature run it's course! Yeah, right... I'll stress just as much over the next one too....Where's the castor oil????

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Lol of course you'll stress Lol think it was first time jitters or do you think she's like that?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've heard of people who wait up all night for their horse to give birth, go in the house for a cup of coffee, come out 10 minutes later and find a baby on the ground. I think they just like to keep us guessing.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know what her problem was - but in the past I've noticed that some of the slower births are actually easier... But DANG... she is an over-achiever in the slow department for sure, lol.

Deb - I actually had that happen. Me and a girlfriend were waiting for a mare to foal...being all sly and set up in the office of the barn and could see her with a neat mirror set up and she couldn't see us. We watched that mare for hours...she was dripping milk and pacing and sweating and the minute we ran in the house to potty - we came back out - literally no more than 10 minutes (if that much) and she was finished!

Went out tonight and found my young buck stuck upside down under a platform in his pen. He's not in good shape and couldn't even stand. He was absolutely fine this morning and seriously not fine tonight. I gave him some things to try to get his rumen working again - being upside down tends to shut the rumen down and a shut down rumen tends to shut the goat down - like dead down. He was at least interested in his yogurt and molasses spiked with a little baking soda...he fought the syringe going in his mouth, but slurped it down when he tasted it. I'll check him again in a couple hours - right now he just needs to be upright and rest. I give him a 50/50 chance at best.

AND - it's cold and rainy. I piled several pads of hay around him to prop him up and they should act as insulation to keep him warm too.

Geeze - what a weird couple of days on the farm.