Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Gardening and expecting babies of any kind are good exercising in learning patience. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are right about that. I'm slurping down a cup of coffee before I go out and check on her. Not moving too fast this morning either cuz I'm DETERMINED that she will have progressed enough that I will NEEEEEED to stay home from work today.

Woke up to an incubator full of quail this morning too. It's so funny the way they hatch. When I went to bed last night I saw one egg pipping.... just one. Woke up this morning to a whole buncha babies! Once one of em goes they jjust start poppin out all over. I'll count em later when I pull em outta the incubator. Guess that's another thing I need to get done this morning.

Gotta get moving.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Those lil quail are hyper hyper hyper when they get their feet into the world! I love them! Hope you get a "skip day" :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ARGH! No skip day for me. This goat is determined to make me work all week, lol. She's at day 146 today. Over the years my pygmy goats have primarily kidded on day 145. Oh well... she's going to keep me on my toes. But, I'm a little worried cuz the longer they're in there - the bigger they're getting... I don't like big babies...and neither do my does!

I will be butchering some quail this weekend... they're six weeks old today and a couple of em already started laying a few days ago. If I could figger out which ones they were I'd keep those for breeders. I'm ready to eat some of 'em... haven't had any since Thanksgiving.

Okay - goofed off enough already - need to get busy earning my pay.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yay garlic! I can't wait for the garlic to be ready... we planted 54 pounds of garlic seed in October, and I'm excited to see what we get! Good luck with all the babies!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pfffffffffffft! That's a raspberry for my silly goat! She's pretty much finished with day 146.... and nothing on the 'impending birth radar'. I will sleep well again tonight unless there are big changes in the next few hours. I'll check her again before bed.... stooopid goat!

Work closes at noon tomorrow so I guess I'll have to go in, sigh. I had this alllll planned out. She was supposed to wait until today so I could have my skip day today and tomorrow too! But nooooooo....

Okay - whine-fest is over. Grumble, grumble...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, positively no doubt about that! I'll be tied to the house all day and at least one sleepless night is guaranteed. Why do I do this????

Cuz, I love it, of course! I just hope, hope, hope it goes well....I get so stinkin' stressed for the little gals.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok, just had to get that off my chest. Still no babies... :barnie But, maybe a teeny, tiny bit of progress. Her ligaments feel much lower this evening as compared to this morning. She's totally content to hang out in the stall and isn't even upset that she's alone. So, once again I'll check her before bed and hope that I get a good nights sleep and start this baby watch thing all over again in the morning.

Stayed home today even though I wasn't waiting on the babies. I got lots done. I HAD to process eggs. DH is wonderful about bringing 'em in and leaving 'em in the bucket out in the breezeway, lol. It's ok, cuz it's been so cool out there that I wasn't in any hurry to take care of 'em anyway. But, I had to get to it today. I washed 'em all and set aside a dozen or so for use and threw the other 5 or 6 dozen into a big ol' baking pan and put 'em in the oven. Baking 'em is the way to go when you've got bunches to do. Set the oven at 325 and let 'em hang out for about 30 minutes. Then I put 'em in the sink and fill it up with cold water until they cool. Works great!

Had to get to some of the quail butchered too - they're outgrowing their grow out pen, lol. I only managed to get a half-dozen done, but that's a half-dozen that I don't have to do tomorrow. I don't like doing hens - I found eggs inside a couple of 'em and that's just weird! Silly little terriers sat around and scarfed up their heads as soon as they hit the ground - UGH! But, it's better than me having to pick 'em up.... :eek:

Tomorrow will be pretty much the same as today... ain't farm life fun?! :)