Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I do chickens, I do them over a bucket. That way, the heads fall right in. I'll dump the bucket in the woods when I'm done.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - that's why Westies are better! I don't gotta dump a bucket and they get a free meal!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay - Can ya'll see my stress level from there? It's finally gonna happen, one way or another. We have major udder growthage and major ligament softening. I predict that I'll be kept awake most of the night and this silly goat will deliver tomorrow. However, I'm resorting to one of my old stand-bys..... a baby monitor! I'll set it up out in the barn with the receiver under my pillow and hopefully I'll get a little bit of sleep tonight. I am SO worried about this goat....you'd think after 25 years of doing this it'd get to be 'old hat' but nope - I stress over every Pygmy birth. Not so much the Nubians when they're bred to a pygmy cuz that's a whole different story. But this little first-timer pygmy that's bred to my new buck is STRESSING me big time! Breathe......

Harvested a bunch of quail today... probably about 17 or 18 of 'em. My hand is tired of being inside a bird scraping out guts. But, oh my goodness, I can't wait to eat some of them things! I'm so hungry right now and I've got nothing thawed out like I was sposed to do this morning... geeze louise...guess it'll be tomato soup and a Sammy. Actually, that doesn't sound that bad! If I had some bacon I'd be eating quail tonight. I gotta go shopping tomorrow...bacon wrapped quail on the grill is on the menu for sure.

Tomorrow I really wanna get some onion sets in da ground...maybe some taters too. Might be too early, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway.

Gotta go get this monitor set up and then find food!

If ya'll got any spare good wishes - please use em on my little goat.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Smoked deer chilli. Was scrumptious! Yum on the quail though!

The goat will be fine. The goat will be fine. The goat will be fine. The goat will be fine... :D ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a good goat - she was considerate enough to let me sleep last night. The roosters and quail however came through loud and clear on the baby monitor! She's restless this morning an has a discharge. Stay tuned!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have I said lately how much I HATE GOATS!? Her ligaments have been gone since last night. Usually that means you have about a 12 hour window. Well we're pushing 24 hours now and she's acting like she's about to die. Now, mind you, she hasn't been in hard labor YET! She's been whining all day... restless and crying but no pushes. She had a clear discharge this morning and now she's got a bloody, pink tinged discharge and she has YET to have one really good hard push - but she's acting like she's done. Done(!) I tell you...

I've had experienced does in the past who seemed to know when there is a big problem and they just never hit hard labor - they knew better than to push hard when there was a malpresentation or a baby that was just too big - and that 's what this doe is acting like. She just won't lay down and get into it....

I can't help her if she doesn't get 'into ' it. If she doesn't dilate and get that baby into the birth canal I can't go in after it..... I hate this stress and I hate goats... I swear I'm never gonna breed another goat as long as I live...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:hugs I'll believe that when I see it. Hope she gets into it soon.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:caf:pop:th

Too many times helping with calves in my past.....:bow I will simple watch and wait, pardon me for not volunteering to help.