Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - shipped eggs are always a gamble. I've found in the past that packing makes a HUGE difference. I ordered eggs from three different breeders. One set of 12 eggs came packed in sawdust...:confused: These were smallish eggs packed in a carton for extra large eggs and had sawdust packed all around them while inside the carton. Then, the carton was packed inside a box full of sawdust. I don't get it - there's not much 'give' in sawdust. It was packed pretty solid. Out of those 12 eggs I pulled 11 of them.... sigh.

The next batch - each egg wrapped with bubble wrap inside an egg carton and then the carton was packed in shredded newspaper. About half of those eggs were early quitters...

The third batch - WINNER! Each egg wrapped in bubble wrap but NOT encased in a carton. The individually wrapped eggs were all wrapped in a lot more bubble wrap inside a smaller box which was wrapped in lots MORE bubble wrap inside a bigger box. There were 14 of those eggs and 8 of them are still in the incubator. I think from now on I'll inquire about how they pack eggs.

That's a good point goatgurl... there have definitely been times when I went with live birds over iffy eggs! When I got into red dorkings, I bought from the best breeder I could find. It took months before I got my chicks - but $15 for a live bird was a better deal than $5 per egg in my opinion.

Thankfully, these silkie eggs were very reasonable even with shipping and there were so many color choices that I just couldn't help myself, lol. And besides - who doesn't love a challenge?

The does are still driving the boys crazy and I've still not allowed a single breeding. I'm holding out for a couple more weeks before doing any breeding. I want to try and time the births as closely with spring break as possible. Just makes my life easier. Things will start getting hectic in about 3 weeks!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Having them born then will definitely help.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I can understand on the chiropractor issues, sometimes there are bad ones that don't really help the situation. You might try to find an Orthobionomy practitioner. Much gentler, and works with your muscles and bones instead of just hacking and cracking things. I love my gal, and she does the horses and me too! We all feel soooo much better after she's worked on us!
Glad your mom is settling down. That must be a huge relief!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now, that sounds like something I could enjoy, HQ, thanks for the suggestion.

Mom is good one day and bizarre the next. Just this morning she decided to tell my brother to go **** off - that she's in charge of her life again and she doesn't want/need any help from any body. That just means she's back up to her old sneaky tricks and doesn't want him around to catch her.

Yesterday she called my niece and begged her to come over because my brother and I are out to get her... :(

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember a friend of my mother's calling me to warn me that she was telling everyone I was the "Bete Noir" (Black Beast). Even though you know they can't help it, it still hurts.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
So far, my mom hasn't gotten like that. But, she rambles on and on w/all kinds of stories, half of which don't make sense.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mom would doze off and dream, then think it was real. I'd come in from mowing the lawn and she'd tell me about all the people who had been in either taking her places or taking things from her. No, they can't rationalize but, hard to deal with it all. Bits & pieces of reality and concerns just seem to combine in their heads.

My scare is that I will be there one day! Believe me when I say that's one reason I work at a garden, natural foods, a lot of work for exercise of body and mind. After I visit her at the current assisted living home, seeing several all like that -- wow!!! Walk a mile, eat those non chemicalized meats, veggies & raw goat milk at a faster pace. Prevention is worth gold.

I sympathize with your situation and as you know, it will get worse. Be prepared. Mentally you must learn to accept/deal with those things.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are so right Mini Horses - it's already gotten worse...

A couple weeks ago, when we took the guns out of the house, we also took the truck keys. She still wants to drive despite losing her truck in a parking lot more than once, asking strangers to help her find it, forgetting where she's going, forgetting what's she's going after, and driving the wrong way up a one way...

She demanded the keys back from my brother and he wouldn't give in. He called me asking what he should do. He feels a moral responsibility not to give them to her. I told him to tell her that if she wanted the keys that she needed to call the police and have them return them to her. That absolves him of any feeling of responsibility. So - she called the cops on her own son. They came to his house so he handed the keys over to them. Cops gave them back to her and that's where we stand now.

She also threatened suicide again. She's using that as a weapon against us and I'm growing weary of her shenanigans.

My poor DH - I left him alone so I could come take care of the grands and he's having a rough time feeding every critter on the place! He called me yesterday asking me 'how do you do all of this?" lol Poor fella!

I'm getting excited about some upcoming breedings - but because of my crazy life right now I have half a mind to separate the does into several pens and just throw a buck in with each group. I could leave 'em that way for a week - 10 days and whatever happens happens. It's a thought....not sure it'll become a reality.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When mom first came here she was not able/safe to drive & doctor told her so but, she blamed that on me saying I told him to say that. Her theory, I wanted her car. RIGHT!!!! Had 2 trucks & a Jeep in the driveway. Eventually, I told her if she wanted to drive I'd take her to DMV for road test and if they felt she was capable then she could. Oddly, never wanted to go but often threatened me with "I have another set of keys". Told her to go & have a good time. She never did as she couldn't get to car by herself, which I knew.

Sounds like your mom is ambulatory enough to get into the vehicle. Some gremlin might disconnect the battery cable:hide
If she did drive away, could be a disaster for all....or hide the keys and swear you didn't know where they were. Tell her she must have put them somewhere as you saw cops give them to her. (which the cops hated to do but had no reason not to)

It is all so difficult. I mean, all they remember is that we took their independence and not the "why" of it.

During my crazy days, I didn't even breed some of mine. Trying to "pull out" of the situation and increasing my farm time, work, life -- knowing she is cared for even if not happy about it. After 3 months she is finally settling in to routine & acceptance of those around her. She is socializing with others more. That helps me feel better, in general.

Almost had DS move back home but, dodged THAT bullet for a while. I'm thinking why didn't I build a tiny house for just me & dog ??? LOL

Last edited:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
MH, I've often wished I had a tiny house. At least, I have my tack shed out at the farm. I'll be getting it all fixed up this fall as a tiny house, just big enough for one. The only thing it won't have is running water. Then I'll just need to get the dog.

My mom isn't driving anymore. I asked my dad since I was afraid of having her get behind the wheel of the car. He says she doesn't remember how to drive, so at least we don't have that worry.