Good still?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
While getting my seeds together for this year, I stumbled upon a ziplock baggie of several packages of seeds that were packaged for 2007. Several of the packages were never even opened and a couple are even herbs. Do you think they'll still germinate?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
They very well could. I would try a few.

Haven't seen you around much, nice to see you :thumbsup

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm glad to be back. My husband says that I act like a tweaker but when it comes to everything else in my life. Meaning that when I'm curious about something, I'll research it exhaustively to the exclusion of the rest of my life. It's hard to get everything to balance right.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I heard seeds were good for 5 years provided that the seeds were kept in a good place. Just plant 2x the amount you normally do incase of lowered germanatin rates.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I'm glad to be back. My husband says that I act like a tweaker but when it comes to everything else in my life. Meaning that when I'm curious about something, I'll research it exhaustively to the exclusion of the rest of my life. It's hard to get everything to balance right.
You mean I am not the only one who obsesses over new things??
:lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:lol: I spend years "thinking about" aquiring goats for instance, then when I decide to "do it", I research intensely, reading everything I can get my hands on, taking notes.

The viability of seeds depends on the plant and how they were stored. Tomato seeds last just about forever, onion seeds are good for 1 year. I remember reading once, that archeologists found tomato seeds in a dig that were thousands of years old, they actually were able to aprout some of them.

Older seeds often take more time to sprout. So when I use old seeds, I double up on the seed and pamper them a little more as well as allow them extra time. I will often take the old seeds and dump the whole packet in a pot or tray and just hope for the best.

When it matters to me that I get a good quick sprouting of a specific crop, I make sure my seeds are fresh (except for tomatoes, I don't seem to have trouble sprouting them.)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Um....I just opened this thread expecting to see some information on distilling liquor....like, is this a good still? Should I buy/make it? Think it will work? :rolleyes: