Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I forgot to to tell Lori the recipe, I will post it tomorrow. Yes you need Romas as well as regular tomatoes, its a good balance between paste and regulars.

Wanda, oh yes, fried stuff.... Now best chicken livers/gizzards I ever ate was from a place called Chicken-of-the-Sea. It is a old greasey spoon kind of place in the bad part of town back in Newport News. But the food was cheap and just down right good. Their oil was a secret blend which made the batter so good. They had a menu item called 2 hens and a roo buck-o-cluck, filled with 28 pieces for 13.99 to go. Now do you folks down there eat scrambled eggs and hog brains? A common breakfast on the farm. Sometimes it was eggs and Banner sausage too.

Gina, Gina, Gina..... Let me tell you how to cook that trout for breakfast. I know some of you are going to think I am nuts, but just trust me one time, try it, if you don't like it, nothing lost.

First off let the trout get to air temp. if you do it cold you will burn the skin. Take 3 cups of flour, add 1 teaspoon of garlic, salt/pepper to taste. Wisk 3 eggs and 1/4 milk together. In your skillet and your choice of oil, I like veggie oil/olive oil 50% mix thats the Italian in me coming out. Back on the farm it was lard, your choice.

Dip and batter your trout once the skillet gets hot, lay it in. Now you only want to have to turn it over once so give it a couple minutes, repeat second side. For the side dish some scrambled eggs and toast. I like ice tea with lemon, and some lemon for my fish. Also cook with head on, get all those brain juices flowing. LOL....

My oh my, how many times did I eat fish for breakfast? Couple hundred maybe. First day of trout, I am out before dawn stretching my line, by 0800 I am home cooking breakfast for the clan. :weee

Thanks, I am hoping to have my first harvest the last part of this month. Our growing season is so much shorter than in VA, so I try to get stuff in, hotkapped as early as possible. This also allows me to get my green compost planted in time to grow before winter.

I also happen to live in what they call the snowbelt, lake effects always bring in the cool air early.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, yum. That actually sounds really good. My kids will eat anything. Especially if they caught it. Dad hes a bit tougher. But when your out in the great wide open almost anything sounds good. :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Now do you folks down there eat scrambled eggs and hog brains? A common breakfast on the farm.

My Daddy would eat scrambled eggs and squirrel brains. I personally never braved that dish. I ate lots of eggs and fried rabbit, squirrel and fish for breakfast but never ate any of the brains. Just can't go there. Guess if I was hungry enough but so far that has not happened.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Once your DH has tasted fresh fried trout, once you have tried it, I am telling you, your going to go back home looking for such good eats. Any other fish other than trout, soak it in buttermilk first.

The way I see it, you have nothing to loose. Give it a try first, shake off the green Gina, I wouldn't advise you to do something bad.

I understand how eating hog brains sounds bad, I also know how good they taste.

Eating hog brains has the same taste as eating cracklings, without the crunch. I can't even find pork rinds around these parts, let alone a good liver sausage.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think I could do hog brains. The trout sounds wonderful. I can get pork rinds at the local grocery store. I highly doubt if they are authentic though.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm avoiding the brains of any animal. As it is, I grew up in England during most of the "Mad Cow Disease" stint and now I can not donate blood to the blood banks. Oh yeah, and my parents NEVER ate or fed us organ meat growing up. Go figure.

Here is the info from the local center:

vCJD Variant Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease (human form of mad cow disease)

There are currently no licensed tests to detect vCJD and there is not enough information to know if vCJD can be transmitted through blood. Therefore, donors who meet the following criteria are permanently deferred regardless of whether or not they consume beef:

Donor is deferred when the cumulative time spent in the United Kingdom during 1980-1996 adds up to three months because the majority of mad cow disease cases have occurred in the U.K.
The donor is deferred when the cumulative time spent on the military bases in the risk countries during 1980-1996 adds up to six months. Approximately 35 percent of the beef eaten on certain U.S. military bases located throughout Europe between 1980 and 1996 was imported from the U.K.
The donor is deferred when the cumulative time spent in Europe adds up to five years. Most European countries have reported cases of Mad Cow disease.
Variant Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease (vCJD) is the human form of Mad Cow disease and is fatal. In cattle, Mad Cow disease causes odd behavior due to the degeneration of the brain and is transmitted via feed containing brain and/or spinal tissue from other livestock. Humans who eat infected beef can develop vCJD with similar symptoms.

The current deferral period is lifetime, however the deferral period for vCJD is undefined, meaning that should new research/information become available to permit donors to donate, they will be able to do so at that time.

I lived there from 1984 until 1990 in base housing and my parents shopped at the base grocery store. Will I come down with this disease? Probably not. Will I ever be able to donate blood? Probably not. :hit

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Military bases in risk countries??? Which would those be?

Now I am up for mad cow too. Heck I was on Mcgraw Kaserne in 89 to 90 in Munich. All our food came from the military commissary. I guess I am up the creek. But hey they say everything is ok in moderation right??

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My parents were stationed at RAF Mildenhall. I went to school at the elementary and 1 year of middle school at RAF Lakenheath and RAF Feltwell.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
If you too would stop tipping cows, neither one of you wouldn't have made the cows mad. :rolleyes: trouble makers.. :gig

DW is from Manchester UK, when she first came here her first meal was a steak with bone on.

Paul Sr. came by to visit last night, he and I took a mosey around the property. He said he hadn't seen the farm in such good shape, ever. Paul and his brother Ray ran the dairy farm where Judy now lives. The milk house is up above my place on the top of the mountain at Pauls Sr. house. The man that built and lived in this house was a farm hand that married Paul Sr. sister.

He had never seen potatos being grown above ground before. He also really took a great interest in the two new orchards I put in early spring. I explained why they are far apart in two different areas, he was impressed with my level of understanding how to work the land. When he walked around my garden, he couldn't believe how nice it is and how well my veggies are doing compaired to his.

The reason he came down was to ask me why my corn up on his property is doing so well compaired to his. He had planted two weeks sooner, my corn is more than twice the size of his. He wasn't home the day I planted so he didn't see me compost the rows before I planted. I just did the areas/rows where I was going to plant as not to waste composting material. The second reason mine is doing better is soil temp. I am going to refer back to my Country Wisdom book, it said if you plant corn too early you risk shocking the new roots if it gets cold. The plant will react by slowing down its growth.

He kind of looked at me like he just learned something from me that he didn't know. I am sure he had learned that so many years ago and it has since slipped his mind.

He had once said not so long ago that my energy has brought the valley back to life. I guess with Judy & Lil putting in a garden the first time in so many years, me planting crops on his land, and having such a interesting garden, hedge rows and the new orchards. I suppose it could inspire people, well I am sure it does, a good example is so many of you using my basket idea for growing taters.

If I can inspire people to become more SS, and be kinder people to each other I have accoplished something I hadn't planned on. That is a wonderful thing to feel happy about, I like being a do gooder. :thumbsup

I took the day off of work today, its my birthday, I turned 39 y/o at 0738 this morning. With the rain outside, your all stuck with me, at least for a short while.... LOL....