Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

jfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Happy Belated Birthday Peddler.... congrats on the jars.. so jealous.. :thumbsup

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Thank you Jf...

I like music, and depending on what mood I am in will determine what I choose to listen too. From Gordon Lightfoot, Willie Nelson, John Denver, to Kansas, Dave Mathews and other rock music. I also like some Bluegrass...

Did you ever come across a song that sent you a message, or had a message that you thought was a powerful message?

I have included the lyrics as well as a utube link to the video, you can see this song just pour out of this guy.

"Hands Held High"

Turn my mike up louder I got to say something
Light weights step to the side when we come in
Feel it in your chest the syllables get pumping
People on the street they panic and start running

Words on loose leaf sheet complete coming
I jump in my mind and summon the rhyme, I'm dumping
Healing the blind I promise to let the sun in
Sick of the dark ways we march to the drum and

Jump when they tell us that they wanna see jumping
not that I wanna see some fists pumping
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something that you know they might attack you for

Cause I'm sick of being treated like I have before
Like it's stupid standing for what I'm standing for
Like this war's really just a different brand of war
Like it doesn't cater the rich and abandon poor

Like they understand you in the back of the jet
When you can't put gas in your tank
These guys are laughing their way to the bank and cashing the check
Asking you to have compassion and have some respect

For a leader so nervous in an obvious way
Stuttering and mumbling for nightly news to replay
And the rest of the world watching at the end of the day
In their living room laughing like "what did he say?"

[Chorus:]
Amen
Amen
Amen
Amen
Amen

In my living room watching but I am not laughing
Cause when it gets tense I know what might happen
World is cold when bold men take action
Have to react or get blown into fractions

Ten years old it's something to see
Another kid my age drugged under a jeep
Taken and bound and found later under a tree
I wonder if he had thought the next one could be me

Do you see the soldiers they're out today
They brush the dust from bullet proof vests away
It's ironic at times like this you pray
But a bomb blew the mosque up yesterday
There's bombs in the buses, bikes, roads
Inside your market, your shops, your clothes

My dad he's got a lot of fear I know
But enough pride inside not to let that show
My brother had a book he would hold with pride
A little red cover with a broken spine
On the back, he hand-wrote a quote inside
When the rich wage war it's the poor who die

Meanwhile, the leader just talks away
Stuttering and mumbling for nightly news to replay
And the rest of the world watching at the end of the day
both scared and angry like "what did he say?"

[Chorus x6]

[x6]
With hands held high into the sky so blue,
As the ocean opens up to swallow you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJw82xm76Ug

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I made Wandas egg custard pie today, but gave it a couple more minutes in the oven. :fl

I wish my stove/oven would die so I could get a new one. Than it was all over, still looks/smells like good eats!! Dang thing has been in service since 1966...

P1011266.jpg

Now me and flour have issues, used a ready made pie crust.

But oh boy oh boy, was she spot on with the condensed sweet milk... I am telling you folks it was ALMOST better than my moms, the kids love it.

I found some fresh bear tracks around the morel patch yesterday, looks to be a moma and a single cub, this years.

That weather system has finally moved east, the sky is blue and the sun is bright. I am off to the garden to pull weeds and I have a secret project I am working on.

Have a great day!!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Wow, that pie looks good. That sweetened condensed milk sure makes it rich and tasty. The baking instructions I gave were from the recipe as written on the Allrecipes website. It took mine longer that the time listed too. But I guess thats why they say or until. LOL I love my oven. Its been in use a long time but I sure hope I don't have to replace this old stove anytime soon.

Way to go Mountain Man.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
After my "basket tater" idea went over so well here on this forum, I decided to produce a "how to video" to share from utube. :celebrate

It was a hoot to make, sometimes almost to a hair pulling level as I had never used my media software until I made this video. After about two dozen bloopers, I was able to put together a short five minute video. :clap

I credited this site, the owner, the only mod I know Ann, and all of you for having/being such a great place to talk about how to/are being as SS as we know how to be. :bow

There is a spelling error at the end I forgot to add the "a" in the word ideas. Well, I figured, if its something I made/posted if there were no spelling errors, you wouldn't have thought I made it. :gig

I would like your feedback on what you think or how I did???? :hide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBdHls9zzk

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
That was really cool. You did a good job. Can't wait for harvest time and part deaux.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, Jay you did a great job on that. It was nice to see. I definitely don't have enough plants in my basket. Maybe I should start another. :D Thanks for sharing!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score

I put the Guinea fowl in the coop today with the chickens, this is temperary living quarters for them. They aren't big enough to free range yet, or are they? Their 6 weeks old this week. I really want them to be able to fly before I turn them loose, to get away from any preditors on the ground.

Last weekend Danielle noticed that two redtail hawks were flying over the coop, having a look see no doubt. With the guinea being so small, I think that they might fall prey to one of those hawks. :idunno

Do you remember that turkey hanging around some weeks ago? Well, she has decided to hang around and I have spotted her roosting just past the woodline from my yard. Judy said she spotted a hen with little ones on the logging road last week.

Since those nesting hawks have moved out year before last, the amount of critters and fowl have been slowly on the rise. I still haven't seen any bunnys yet. I did make to brush piles in the hopes that some might move in.

Today I plan to put up another bat box on the other side of the pond, I am positive it will have new residents in a very short period of time. My bird house guords remain empty :hit and I might place some nesting material in the to encourage birds to move in, any ideas?

Now that the warm weather has returned, the grapes seem to be coming back, but ever so slowly. I am sure I made the correct soil conditions for them, but I am no expert.

Dale and Jodi are having their annual summer get together in a few weeks, where I present a semi-pro fireworks display. Most of my presentations last for 10 minutes or so with something going off every 5 seconds or so. I took a class a few years ago and learned how to rig and time a display.

With the garden in, and nearly weed free, its time to get my fishing gear out and do some fishing. I am really hoping to add some yellow perch to my pond this year. I added some shad last year in hopes they will produce feeder fish to the pond for the bass. It will be a couple more years before I will know they lived.

I finished smoking my own bacon yesterday. I soak it in a brine for a day or so depending how much it weighs. Than I hang it in the smokehouse where I used 80% hickory 20% applewood as the smoke flavoring. I have a small slicer, when I trim the ends, I cut them very thick, a 1/2 inch or so before I start cutting bacon. We use these end pieces for bean soups and such.

Next weekend I plan to start pulling out dead logs/fallen trees from my woods to use as firewood this winter. I took a mosey around a few weeks ago to scout out how much wood there will be, its time to buy firewood now instead of later in the fall. The prices for a full cord right now is $125, in the fall it will rise to $175-$185 depending who and what type of wood.

I am off to get some chores done, I hope you have a great day!!! :ya

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I finished smoking my pork belly, I smoked the whole piece at one time.

Like I said, 80% hickory, 20% apple wood, after a brine soak of two days. It was ready for the smokehouse.

For stock, I cut the edges, trimmed it down, and smoked the "bacon part another four hours" and here is the good eats.

P1011271.jpg
P1011274.jpg

Now that my friends is good eats, as you can see rind on, begging for a cure....

Fried up, smoked, ready to serve, yum yum pigs bum/belly.... LOL

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jason,

Looking forward to part 2! My taters are growing like weeds. I wonder if there'll be any taters by the end of it....

Inchy