Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Man oh man does that look good!!!!!! Makes me wish I had a pig! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
A future goal of mine.....homemade bacon and also corned beef, nitrate-free. I can almost smell that bacon. :drool

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Peddler, do you mind if I post a link to your video on my facebook group? That is a great method, it looks much easier than the tires my parents reccomended or the buckets I'm using now. Plus I've got a 2'x150' roll of poultry netting I'm not going to use on my run.
Mmmm, the bacon looks good too! :drool
Great, now I'm hungry :D

And happy belated birthday!
edited for spelling

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Have you seen the commercial with the dog running around drooling thinking BACON, BACON, BACON?

Is so then you will have a good idea if what I looked like when I saw the pics. :lol:

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Sorry for making your tummies growl... :drool I will make a personal note about smoking your own meat. I use dried wood because using green wood leaves a slight bitter taste. Some folks don't mind the bitter taste, infact some like it.

I use dried wood, soak it in warm water, 1 teaspoon of salt per quart, let it sit for half hour. Keep the wood in the water as to keep adding it a little at a time.

IW- Soon your basket should be near the 3/4 fill mark as mine will be next week. Now the plant will start to cycle into producing larger taters. You can bet that you have mant taters in your compost now, though they are small. Now the plant will work its energy into making those taters bigger.

Free- corned beef sounds wonderful, I have never tried any recipe to brine my own. Please keep me posted if you find and try one, I'd like to share doing that task with you.

NCL- Thats why I made the video, educational purposes, please do share it. Oh the tire method, I once was told or read that a person noticed a different taste in the potatoes. Thank you for the HBB...

G- Aren't you going to smoke some in the woods while your on vacation? Your hubby will be impressed with your pioneer skills. :thumbsup

W- Your a HOOT!!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Smoke what in the woods?? Bacon, uhhhh no, I don't think so.

I plan to fry fish and I think thats about it. I am doing everything I can to get around the no fire at your trailer rule. They have common pits near the lake on a beach. But they do allow charcoal bbq's. So I nicely explained my set up with fire bowl and tripod that I use for my dutch oven. They said it was ok.

I have a few easy one pot meals planned. I am even thinking about doing a cobbler or something along those lines. I love cooking outside. But it is nice to have the trailer as a back up.

So whats the deal with cooking at higher elevations? I know there is some rule of thumb I should be aware of. Other than it just takes longer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, when I used to bake, the only thing that worked for me was adding an extra egg.

It took care of the needing more moisture part while giving things a little more structure.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Jay, I think my mom has a recipe for corned beef hidden away. She is not in any condition to find it for me, though. I plan to rifle through all her recipes and books the next time I get up there....probably not for a while, though, maybe early winter. Wait, I may need a month to go through ALL her recipes! I remember her making the corned beef in a crock with a big rock to hold it under the brine, but she no longer remembers how she made it or where the recipe came from.....sigh...... :(

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I will be the first to mention, mountain man isn't taken lightly. Used as a verb, not as a noun, I would consider myself a pioneer. Many folks see what I have done, like you, and so it also has been used as a adjective.

Perhaps I don't have much to go on, but something I once lived/felt drives me to learn and move forward.

Being SS is a choice, a lifestyle, but either way it shouldn't be judged.

I decided three years ago to farm my homestead, with three years behind me, I thought I had it made. :weee

Considering lifestyle, I could easy out, and live in the burbs. But I decided to take this lifestyle head on. I have never faultered from my plans, and I have faced different challenges.

Perhaps living in the city was too easy, and I often missed the farm life I had when I was growing up. When you depend on a supermarket or store, you just go buy what you need. Its always there.

When you work for it, harvest your produce, feed your family, there is a lot of pride that goes along with that. I have dropped the ball.

I am counting on a 80% food store this year for my family. :rolleyes: I have been saving and cutting pallets the last two years to build a fence around my garden. Its no big secret, pallets, but my copper arrives on 8 foot or 10 foot pallets. I have been cutting the cross boards off to use the forklift running boards for a fence.

I had been waiting on the strawberries, June bearing, second year crops to sell to pay for the rental of a post hole digger. You might ask why didn't I dig the holes when I had the bobcat, it came with a choice of one auger. Now your going to ask me why I don't just dig the holes myself? I might have too...

Now you understand why I take so much pride getting my garden soil where its at today, its all clay..:barnie

Well the Deer had their way in my garden last night, a doe and two fawns no doubt. I might have six Broccoli that might come to a head, but I am being eager. I had been setting big cat poo out every couple weeks, and it was working. I got lazy and missed a few days when it was raining.

Need Deer meat? Wanna hunt? Its all free from here on out. :celebrate