Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sorry about your garden. That really hurts. I know. My plague is rabbits in my green beans and english peas. Its so frustrating to do all that work and then watch everything grow and look good then one morning. Gone - :he

Did the deer leave enough to grow back? (Probably not but wishful thinking on my part)

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big cat poo? Are you keeping a lion somewhere?

We're just starting to look into some kind of deer deterrent. I fence the garden in a way that they can't get into it, but they destroy my roses every year. But, I can live with that.

The problem is we've had a bumper crop of deer ticks the last couple of weeks. Found 3 on the kids. We're thinking it might be nice to have a perimeter where the deer won't cross so the kids can have a place to play without picking up deer ticks.

Any ideas?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry about your garden Jay, I was very frustrated in years past with the gophers. They would suck down whole green bean plants in a matter of minutes.

Jay those pallets sound great. A very creative way to recycle.

Wifezilla, thanks for the baking info. Most cooking will be on the grill of dutch oven so I should be ok.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I don't have any problems shooting deer off the porch---got one when I was pregnant with my son (off my mom's back porch) and got 2 off of my front porch when I was pregnant with my daughter! I'll shoot 'em for ya! :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not one for poaching, but if you know how to handle a bow or cross bow, get them yourself and put them up in the freezer. I'm sure T can teach ya how to process 'em. ;)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Last time I was able to get a count, there were 14 in one herd. I have been really waiting to get the fence up until I get enough post. I might have enough to put up a sloppy fence right now, than I will have to fix it up as I get the post. This is really the only solution right now that will fix the problem, now they know its there. The cost of the post hole digger isn't an issue now, I fix their wild eating ways. :lol:

Big cat poo.... This idea was given to me by a Indian women who swore by it. As she explained it to me, the deer would smell the poo, and it would trigger a flight response that is natural to them. I started using this idea last year, and it worked all summer, but I don't think the deer population was near the size it is now. I get the poo from Skyes Spirit rehab center, free.

Judy said while she was in the back field, she saw at least six different fawns. She also noted that she too hadn't seen so many deer before.

Poaching isn't an option I would even openly consider posting here. I am sure with my three tags, I will have plenty of deer meat to eat over winter. The last doe I harvested last year during black powder season was tough, I had to can and make sausage from her. I will be more selective in what size deer I harvest this year. I will go for the younger deer in hopes that the older does will die a natural death sooner than the younger of the population.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll bet peddler has got that covered, but thanks for the vote of confidence, Amos :cool:
We have an ordinance that allows us to legally harvest nuisance animals that are in our gardens or destroying property, etc. We have such an overpopulation in MS that they made the rules even more lenient this year. We had a few stalks of corn eaten down due to letting our deterent wash away. They were still a little spooked or they would have sure eaten more. Those deer are sneaky though, we hardly see the actual animals anymore, just droppings & tracks, and the occasional eaten plant. Think DH is gonna get to play sniper :)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Oh yes, Amos I do have that part covered.

I planted my last two hundred foot rows of corn today up at Paul Sr. house. I had used a organic fertilizer along with some compost just in the row area where I was planting, my corn is doing well. Last night, disgusted by what the deer did, I went up to water the sprouts as we haven't had a rain in almost 6 days. The last one was a light gentle, maybe 1/8 deep.

So I hitched up the water buffalo, filled it with rain water and off I went. I soaked them at least with 1/4 and decided to return today to get the weeds tilled in. WOW!!! That little bit of water made them start growing, looks like the grew 1/2 over night. :pop :weee

I hadn't mentioned this, but DS and I had a major melt down some weeks ago. He decided that school was letting out, so he needed to looe his brain too. He stopped helping me in the garden, and I decided that I would wait to see if his attitude would change. (four hands are better than two) Well he also decided he didn't need to do his daily chors, DW has pretty thick skin when it comes to these matters.

So I decided I had heard enough from my DW, and now I needed to have my say. I was calm and to the point. I made sure I threw out there while he was in the house play games/mp3/swimming I was out there busting my backside trying to get the garden in. I honestly wanted him to feel bad, and he did. So that changed his attitude a little. My second point was, what he was going to do for food this winter?. Because he wasn't going to sit at the table, eat my food without some help in the garden.

Today DW caught him filling stuff out on his chore chart that he hadn't done. So I took his electronics away for a week. Later, I found him in the garden weeding the four rows of corn on his own. :clap I was pleased to see that, so I went over asked him if he needed my help, so we finished it up together. He mentioned that he was upset by his punishment, I asked him if he understood that what he did was not only wrong, but it was cheating me out of money. He said that is why he went out to start weeding, because at the time it didn't seem like that to him. His point was that it didn't need to be done today so he filled it in. He said he understood how it made me upset, he said he wouldn't do it again.

DD is my little pioneering buddy, she is learning how to take care of the chickens now. :) Boy does she love animals, any animal, feathers, fur, and frogs. No Lori she is not getting any more frogs!! LOL... :gig :hugs

Have a great evening!!!! :thumbsup

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm glad your not into poaching, its something that really bursts my bubble. We have quite a few poachers out here and they're quite sickening.

We're only allowed to kill geese that are destroying crops, other than that everyone is protected I think.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a nice moment with your son. He will probably tell the story to his children one day. "When I was a kid my Dad made me work and do chores in order to earn my food." Just imagine!! ;)

The way things are going around here I bet your daughter will get a goat next!! :clap