Java. the end.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All you Ohioans are making me feel left out. Maybe I need to talk to DH about moving to Ohio. ;) Probably not, we love it here. I feel blessed living in such a beautiful state.

Anywho, I wanted to say :welcome as a non-lurker. The journaling isn't all that bad. Some days, yes, are not as interesting. Other days it is nice just to get some thoughts down somewhere and get feedback from others who are like-minded (or even not like-minded).

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Got a stupid roo that is going to be BBQ on Friday. Enormous light brahma/EE mix that won't shut up and is shredding the hens. He has developed this sneak attack thing. It's kind of funny to watch him charge across the yard and hit the poor unsuspecting hens. But it's getting old fast and he hasn't learned that my foot is NOT an acceptable substitute for when he misses his intended target. Can't wait to have a good chicken dinner.
I'll bring the BBQ sauce :lol:

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just plain old soapy water may help. Put it in a spray bottle and be sure to get the undersides of the leaves. I got my chickens to help get rid of some of the bugs but may have to resort to AMDRO to put the ants back in line. I usually only have to do it once a year when they start to swarm. I'll have to try to figure out how long the chooks will have to be put up while it happens (if it happens).

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: There is no way my chickens are getting near the garden - 2 minutes and there wouldn't be anything left! I have never seen anything like these girls at feeding time, like a bunch of sharks in a frenzy :ep I have 4 separate feeding stations for them or they nearly kill each other trying to get at the food. And they even graze all day long. Bugs and weeds galore. Feathered pigs.
I'll try the soap if the bugs get any worse.

You know, if there was more than one rooster to BBQ, I would love to have you all here. We hatched some out with the intent of eating the roos and we only got ONE!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yet if you'd been hatching out for more pullets, you'd have had all roos :gig

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Add asparagus beetles to the list. And powdery mildew on the squash and cukes. I think my cuke's days are numbered. My neighbors must really wonder what I'm doing out there for hours at a time, squatting down in front of my plants then occasionally running over to the chicken pen to toss them a wormy snack. I did finally break out the soap spray and DE to dust with. Hope it helps. No sign of tomato worms yet. I feel like I need spy gear. :p

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel for you and your predator issues. I've been ignoring my garden. I could very well have bugs out there, but I'm afraid to take time to look.

So, what is an "attack robin"? :lol:

ETA: Where is it you live? Wanna teach me to butcher chickens? I really want to learn -- even after all my young roos were slaughtered by the coon. I'll dispatch the dumb cream egg laying CC Maran first.