Java. the end.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
ETA: Where is it you live? Wanna teach me to butcher chickens? I really want to learn -- even after all my young roos were slaughtered by the coon. I'll dispatch the dumb cream egg laying CC Maran first.
But Becca!! That egg is edible!!!!!!

Send her to ME before you dispatch her to the soup pot!!! :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Javamama said:
Bec, an attack robin is one who has a nest in the tree right above the chicken coop door. She would swoop down and screech at us every time we went out. Then one day a baby fell out of the nest and there was suddenly a whole flock of robins watching out for this little bird. It was crazy! Now we have a nest of squirrels there. I'm afraid to think about what they might do. :p
I love on the NW side of Columbus, right close to the 33/161 interchange.
About the butchering - we just used the tutorial by Frugal in the meat bird section on BYC. We went at it from a learning perspective and took our time the first time and it was really not hard at all. Just make sure your knives are sharp!
Hey, do you still have your Light Brahma roo? :love I ended up selling off all of my LB girls because I couldn't keep a roo for them. Poor girls. :(

BUT those poor girls got some pretty good homes, and were GREAT layers!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
QA, that roo turned into our first homegrown chicken dinner. He turned on me one day and that was it. I will not deal with an attack roo, especially one that is bigger than my 2 year old. He dressed out at over 6 pounds. The one we are doing tonight is his son, and at 16 weeks is already as big as papa was. But this one has a mean streak.
We only have one of the LB ladies left. The other had internal laying problems and we put her down last winter. Now I have a bunch of LB/ RIR crosses that should start laying any day now. They should be egg laying machines! But boy those Brahma roos get big!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Congrats on the good deals!

I've never tried to grow dill, and not sure I've even used dill before. What uses do you have for dill?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Java, I love your pics...your property is very pretty!
Sorry to hear about the hawk problem, funny that your hens are not sensing danger...you would think that would be a natural response to a predator nearby!