JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yup, we have them as well. They said it would cut down on our electricity cost because they would not need meter readers any longer. I have not seen any savings yet .

G

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Even if you don't care too much about the power company knowing when you turn on a lamp, it's still too much Big Brother, and that should bother everyone. Our meter was changed out about a year ago. Hmmmm, gonna have to check it out.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
They've not changed our boxes. We've had the same box since we moved here. Hope they don't decide to change ours.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you can refuse them, and even request a different one be put in. Its not only the electric co that can read these things. The info is sent out over a radio wave.
So, again, my FIL strikes with new info. This is not the least bit controversy. These are called "Living bridges" Talk about working with nature! This is a MUST SEE!

http://www.snotr.com/video/7331/The_Living_Bridge

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Those living bridges are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

As for those smart meters, I just heard about them yesterday morning on a news show. My only thought was that in todays economy they are installing smart meters so more people can lose their jobs. How community minded is that? Now I am thinking other things about them.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those bridges are utterly beautiful and amazing!! Thanks for sharing that... I enjoy my "living mulch" of wild strawberries- but it kinds of pales in comparison to those bridges!!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
It is my understanding that you can refuse them, and even request a different one be put in. Its not only the electric co that can read these things. The info is sent out over a radio wave.
So, again, my FIL strikes with new info. This is not the least bit controversy. These are called "Living bridges" Talk about working with nature! This is a MUST SEE!

http://www.snotr.com/video/7331/The_Living_Bridge
imagine what else we could do with this type of thing if we only had the patience? :)

ETA: I just watched the video on Smart Metering and I must say, it annoys me as well. It's the first thing I am going to look for when we get settled into our new place. Thank you for posting both links.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I bet they can bonsai trees like no one else!!! That's pretty awesome.