MyHouseIsAZoo2's SS Journal

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We raised 2 kids w/only the one bathroom. I've already decided that, as long as hubby and I are married, next house we get will have 2 bathrooms!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm raising one lone duckling that was hatched late in the season (on 9/11) and momma didn't seem to understand that it was too cold for the lil thing to go traipsing after her all over the yard. She plays with the water in her waterer- goes through at least a gallon a day. When I can, I pop her into the bathtub with some warm water so she can play in there while I refresh her bedding.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just showed hubby the picture and he wanted to know what is that? :lol:
Tell him its a three headed hydra duck dry rare only found once a blue moon and then it slowly pulls apart by adult hood

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
As opposed to where I was a year ago? Well... I've a house instead of an apartment, I cook about 80-90% of my meals again. I'd like to make it 100%, I'd like to learn how to fix my plumbing on my own and the leaky faucet that my dad installed in my backyard when we put the sprinkler in twoish weeks ago.
I'd like to learn/do so much more!
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
I will never give up my laundry machine. Or hot showers :l I love my laundry machines.
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
Yes.I'd like to get it so that I can get a bunch of stock saved for a year or two and then I can save money up for an apprentice-ship for tattooing <3 that's my dream job!
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
When I go into my own little place? A forest... One that extends as far as i can see and I can feel the soft not quite squishy feel of leaves dirt and slight damn moss between my toes. The smell of sweet fragrent yet cool pine sap mingling with damp earth and rich moss. The blessed silence broken only by the ocassional babble of a crystal clear stream/river or trill of a blue jay or cardinal and the ocassional crunch of a deer stepping on a branch as it walks through the peaceful scenery.
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
Nope to both, sadly don't need one in the city
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I can make silk roses, do bouquets and various little arts and crafts. I'm decent with a thread and needle. If someone was willing to learn it I wouldn't mind passing it on :)
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Only certain kinds. I can't keeps pigs, sheep, cows. But if I've done my research corecctly (and it hasn't changed) I can keep 1 goat of low to no noise level. I can keep my birds and soon to be rabbits quite legally.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
I honestly have no clue what a lathe is... Time for google
edit: just looked up a lathe definitely not.
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I love to garden! I love growing tomato's, snap pea's, sweet peas (any type of peas) pumpkins, watermelons, squash, cucumbers, zucchini, sunflowers.<3 pretty much anything and everything (except okra)
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
I don't have much luck fishing but when o do fish its with bait. I think I read an article that said explosives change pH levels and whatnot in water so I wouldn't use explosives
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
I own my home can't remember how big the yard is but its not nearly the amount I want... I live in the city.
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
I'm honestly not too sure what this question is asking...

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 4 &5
Sorry I haven't really been on the last couple of days, went to a bachlorett party straight from work Saturday and was too pooped from opening Sunday and finally closed tonight/today (guess I can say today as it 2:35am here) :th
I've a coworker that wants to give me a rabbit that hopped into his yard (he thinks it may have beloved to someone as its friendly and isn't scared of people what so ever) it sounds kind of like a cotton tail to me so I went out and bought a cage but haven't worked with him since!

Got all kinds of bit up by mosquitoes yesterday night cleaning Mikey's tank(his tanks in the back uard with a homemade roof) before passing out. My legs look awful :'( hopefully they can get halfway decent looking before my friends wedding on Saturday... Anyone have any tips for making bug bites vanish quicker? I've read lavander helps but it aggravates my asthma something fierce so I can't use it.

My small planter up front has some lemon grass added into it! We now have mint, garlic, a tomatoes plant and some kind of plant (we think squash or pumpkin) growing up there :love oh how I've missed gardening!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Use plantain (plantago major) if you have any in your yard. It is the king of drawing herbs, and a wet poultice (chew a few leaves and slap it on) will draw out poisons, splinters, etc. It's also anti-inflammatory so it should relieve the swelling too.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 6
Weed wacked the yard today and raked up a bunch of it, gave it to my ladies, they sure like it a lot better than the hay I throw in their pen. I really need to cull the extra Roo's so they can start free roaming my yard a bit... Suzanna laid an egg while I was in the pen. Her times have been weird crazy, used to be 3pm on the dot but its been 6, 3, 5 and today at 9:30ish Am.

IMG_20141008_112052.jpg

Suzanna's the wheaten there, she lays her eggs in the little house; it used to be a storage shed my dad built for me! I don't have a picture if it but they all roost in a recycled greenhouse that has a roost we built in it.

Me and Twinnie got a good amount of the piping areas we dug up for the sprinkler system we put in the back yard buried again got one more line we need to bury (right next to the house uhhhg) then need to tile bricks alongside the house a bit for "weed" contol . After that's done we'll be saving up so we can replace the wooden fences around the backyard with brick fencing so we can try to increase the value of the house (and won't have to worry about the neighbors dog getting in the yard anymore, its a mean bugger that's nipped the Twinnie already) I think we may have to buy some dirt to finish burying the piping though since the abnormal amount of rain we've had lately flattened a good majority of what we dug out :'(

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hate it when nippy dogs run loose. And, it's not always easy to deal w/the neighbors since ya gotta live there.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The dog was(technically) in its yard (the yard boundary) when it nipped her, she was working on something next to the fence between our yards and it reached through and nipped her butt. It doesn't help that they've told us they where going to replace the now even holier fence when we first moved in but its still down. A good fourth of the boards are broken or completely gone. We added some green fencing so their puppy can't slip through either (specially since the roo's are free range till freezer camp) so we're hoping that within the next year we can get up enough money to have it turned into a brick fence so that I can feel at ease that no ones looking in on our back yard through the holes/no nippy pooch's. For the back fence I'd like to make a "tailgate" so I can get the garbage, recycling and greens barrel out into the alleyway... it'll also increase the value of the property so we can refinance sooner and have $200 dropped off our monthly mortgage. Then we'll be able to save extra cash up for fixing more stuff and starting to save up for a bigger property <3