MyHouseIsAZoo2's SS Journal

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Getting that bigger property is a good thing to look forward to.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep hoping and dreaming for a big property literally a month after moving into this place a property with 6 acres went for sale... It was beautiful had a pool and gardening space, animal area and a nice area where my dad could go quadding and had a main and a guest house. So both me and Twinnie could have our separate house and parents could have theirs... Oh well just wasn't ment to be. I'll just keep hoping and dreaming in the mean time.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 7
I know it's early but I just finished work for the night and will be closing again tomorrow (I'll be off at 2am tomorrow) so rather than miss it I'll put some stuff up now.

Found out the coworker I was gonna get the rabbit from no longer has the rabbit, he came home from work and it was gone... Some flyers went up in his neighborhood about a lost rabbit but he's not sure if its the same one. So I've a 50lbs compacted bale of timothy on the patio along with rabbit food and an empty cage... Oh well guess it'll be filled/used eventually I'll just consider it an early start on supplies.

The bird that we pulled out of the coop for being male and an egg eater might not be a male but we're not sure, its bum is looking pretty featherless so littlest sis is looking into purchasing a chicken saddle for it (we've named this bird egg eater for the time being)
I need to figure out what kind of supplements I can add to my ducklings food so there isn't so much protein content it it, any suggestions?

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we had ducklings, all I could get for starter was turkey-waterfowl, 27% protein. I did some arithmetic, and based on Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, added chopped rolled oats - not instant, and I would not feed it to littles without chopping it up - one part oats to 4 parts crumbles. That also would drop some other nutrients, so I gave poultry vitamins with probiotics and electrolytes once a week.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 8

Not gonna get much homesteading things done today got a wedding to go to today, but that doesn't mean I won't have time to pick up the pot for culling. The plans to get it done tomorrow. The 5 roos literally spent over an hour yesterday crowing nonstop. I feel bad for my neighbors whom (hopefully where at work at the time) have to listen to them all the time.

Also plan on trying to donate my hair to locks of love tomorrow (I've well over 10inches and have been waiting to donate till this wedding is over) it will be nice to not use so much shampoo and conditioner again :D and to not feel like a long haired poodle is on my head.

Gonna try to bake some bread tomorrow too and clean out both Mikey and ducks water. Gotta get little sis to come over and do her part of chicken coop duty... Too much stuff not enough time.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I need to get my hair cut, but it's not long enough for Locks of Love. I did that a few years ago, and haven't had it that long since.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 9

Well I did not end up culling the roosters, the tripod I was going to borrow for my flame (to heat the water) was out of gas and I've no money to buy any. Also still don't have a pot big enough for water :'(

On the plus side I was able to cut my hair
download_20141012_115821.jpeg

My hair before donating to Wigs for kids(formerly known as Locks of love)

What it looks like now
1413175047324.jpg

Ate dinner at my parents house with some family friends, mom made smoked stuffed peppers, mushroom caps, pork loin (which was amazing) and some grilled pineapple. Me and twinnie brought baked potatoes over with chives and Greek yogurt (as some of us/guests don't eat sour cream/don't like it) one of our friends brought a portion of oven baked potroast but rest of us didn't know until the meal was almost over.
It was a delicious meal and had an okay time for the most part, until dad started feeling like a third wheel and ruined the whole thing. :barnie:barnie:barnie

On the plus side, the stinky smelly dishwasher that hasn't worked since before we bought our house was moved out to the corner and is already gone, some guys down the street took it even though we let them know we hadn't used it since we got the house so we wern't even sure it worked and that it may have had water leaking into it/sitting in it for the last 5 months. Also one of my Barred Rourkes laid their first egg today <3

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They could have been scrapers, so they wouldn't care if it ran or not.

And, congrats on the egg! I have 2, neither which has started to lay. But, I did see one of them checking out my nesting boxes the other day.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You have beautiful hair! Mine is also very long and thick, so a major pain to wash and dry, but I can't imagine living without it. I've been wearing it long for nearly 15 years now.

Congrats on the eggs!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have beautiful hair! Mine is also very long and thick, so a major pain to wash and dry, but I can't imagine living without it. I've been wearing it long for nearly 15 years now.

Congrats on the eggs!
It's so hot here in the summers so I was thinking of trimming it short again once the heat hits this year its been over a year and a half since I last cut it.
I normally let it air dry with next to no issue but can't leave it down at night when its long or else I'll spend 10-15+ minutes brushing it because its so thick :eek: