Need ideas for using truckloads of wood chips and sawdust?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mulch is certainly the first thing that comes to my mind, but in my case it would probably get put through the pellet machine and turned into fuel for the pellet stove.
Of course, compost is of significant value. Put some in your compost bin and give it a whirl. Then everything else you put in there will do the trick and incorporate the wood chips into the "black gold" we wait for from the compost bin. :D
Trim sends
//BT//

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used mine in thje garden for bedding. I filled up a muddy run area the hens used,and it was now void of grass.Worked well at keeping the hens out of the mud.This year I am moving the wood to a hill where I am covering the grass.Cutting hill grass just stinks. So lucky to be getting truck loads of wood chips!Great to make garden paths too.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Pinky you know I'll share :) It is various kinds of trees from cutting brush, so won't sell it to horse folks. I doubt I'll sell much of it anyway. I think with all these ideas I may actually need MORE :p

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
this makes me laugh really....

there was an ad on craigslist once for "FREE MULCH" and i was so happy that i was first to reply

but oh to my surprise.....

mind you i live in a tight neighborhood meaning the houses are a whopping 10-15 ft apart so everyone is in everyones business

so im waiting for this free mulch

a big arse white truck stopped at my house about half the size of a semi

i was like wth do they want

mam we are here to deliver your free mulch

i said what, all that, can you drop half of it

no mam we have to dump it all

my driveway only holds 2 cars parked within inches of each other (like within 3 inches no more no less) and my yard is about 25' x 30'

i moved my car they dumped it

OMFG this pile of mulch went to damn near the eaves of my house it covered the driveway completelt spilling 5 ft both ways into the grass

i couldnt park in my driveway for months....as i had only the neighborhood kids that would help spread it

there was so much crap in the mulch...........toys,metal,platic pieces, wonderful whipping butt sticks and EVERYTHINg else you can imagine

then here comes the nightmare.........came outside on about the 10th day and the pile is still about 5' tall by like 300' ft wide (so it seemed) and the pile is FRICKING SMOKING

this pile is no more than 8 ft from my front door

the neighbors were stopping asking wth is all that stuff in your yard and is it on fire or something, telling me (the best part) that the mulch will bring termites to eat up my house. so after i saw it SMOKING (scared sh**less) so i gathered one adult neighbor and about 6 kids to shovel it out with shovels buckets trach can lids WHATEVER they could find one kid was using a taco bell cup even...but in the end it only took about 4 months to get rid of the pile and park my car back in the driveway...but i will tell you everywhere i put that mulch EVERYTHING grows wonderful

Wannabefree said:
Pinky you know I'll share :) It is various kinds of trees from cutting brush, so won't sell it to horse folks. I doubt I'll sell much of it anyway. I think with all these ideas I may actually need MORE :p

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Build yourself a wood gasifier and use it to power a generator or some other small engine :) Hubby wants to power/heat our next house with waste wood... but getting the system set up is expensive.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't been that lucky for years. I think I upset someone who cleared our power lines years ago and now I have to suffer the consequenses. But when I had it, I had an awesome garden, with everything mulched and growing like crazy.
I had one load of it that was very twiggy and I had a very hard time shoveling it, so it looked like it stayed there and I thought it would just turn into dirt eventually, but what we ended up doing was making a kinda birds nest shape on top and putting about a wheelbarrow of good soil up there, with 7 or so melon seeds. We ate a lot of melon that year........can't bring the mulch to the garden...bring the garden to the mulch.
That can be a very valueable gift you have, if you put your thinking cap on. I can tell you I cashed in on mine (back in the day). It is on my to-do list to get my own wood chipper.

Latest posts