Plain Dress

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenone said:
why would you want to be not of the world? Do you not like people?
I think the meaning of this biblical quote is to be in the world but not of the world. My interpretation of that is that although we live in the world and deal with the world, in our personal and worship lives we need to focus on non-worldly things (what ever your interpretation of that is). I dress the way I choose so that I don't have to worry about what the current fashionista says. I am comfortable and functional and I don't worry about people thinking I'm strange or dowdy or whatever they wish to think. In turn I don't pass judgement on how others dress. Well, maybe I have raised an eyebrow at some very revealing outfits and have giggled watching teens try to walk in the gangsta pants! :gig

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
chickenone said:
WE love people :love

I do not want this thread to get shut down, so I will be careful in how I answer this. If you want a longer explanation ( no preaching, I promise) pm me.
I have chosen to follow the Biblical mandate of separation in the way I live. This includes dress.

For many years, I dressed very Anabaptist, as that tends to be the easiest "uniform" for lack of a better word.
Its simple to just wear jumpers or cape dresses.
But, being separate does not necessarily need to scream "I am different".
I had a thread going awhile back on choosing a more modern style, and we found a way to do it, that DH and I love equally.
If it were just me, I would go back to the German Baptist style, but there are two of us in this marriage, and a compromise is by far the better way to go :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
chickenone said:
I dont' think anyone would mistake me for a man even if were wearing pants. :lol:
Most women today wear pants that show every curve and every line of their body. I consider that to be immodest because it causes men to lust after our bodies. In order to wear pants and be "modest" you would have wear really baggy pants, which would not be a very good way of distinguishing between sexes.
Or wear them the way I do ;)
With a cute Kuspuk or middle eastern tunic.
Or a cute short dress.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just realized hubby brought the camera back at noon. So here is my cape dress.
misc003.jpg

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
CrownofThorns said:
chickenone said:
I dont' think anyone would mistake me for a man even if were wearing pants. :lol:
Most women today wear pants that show every curve and every line of their body. I consider that to be immodest because it causes men to lust after our bodies. In order to wear pants and be "modest" you would have wear really baggy pants, which would not be a very good way of distinguishing between sexes.
Or wear them the way I do ;)
With a cute Kuspuk or middle eastern tunic.
Or a cute short dress.
I've wanted to, I really like the leggings with the really long top look that is popular now, but DH is not a fan of that kind of style. Oh well. I love my long flowy skirts too. :D

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
chickenone said:
I had a thread going awhile back on choosing a more modern style, and we found a way to do it, that DH and I love equally.
If it were just me, I would go back to the German Baptist style, but there are two of us in this marriage, and a compromise is by far the better way to go :)
I'm not quite sure what Germanic Baptist style is, but if it was just me too I would just for the sake of ease I would be wearing cape dresses like this one all the time. But while he likes this dress he doesn't want me to wear a bunch that look just like that I think he likes my various outfits. Like today I am wearing a brown floral skirt and a tan sweater. It's an outfit that I love, very feminine, modest, and "my colors" so it looks good on me. :)

I know for me it's SO easy and so much of a temptation to just be frumpy. But for my husband and my self respect I need to be modest, feminine and attractive. Classy is the term I have come to use, but not in the general way classy is thought of. My usual Sunday outfit is a nice jean skirt with a western type top. Although mostly just because I haven't been able to buy new clothes for a while so all I have besides 2 jean skirts for church is one classy one, with only one top to go with it. :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You guys are giving me the sewing bug again!!! :barnie

maybe I will dig out some fabric again this weekend. You know I find that with skirts the blouse really makes he outfit. It needs to fall long enough and not be to boxy.

:D

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think someone mentioned a while back a need for something that would be ok to wear today, but looks old fashioned? This is on my wishlist. Every now and then I open it up and drool over it... :lol:

ETA: I take that back. This is the one I drool over. This just screams "me".
il_fullxfull.192356154.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so let me tell you what I think about that skirt. I love it. :love

But two things. Yes that looks like 3 to 4 yards of fabric. The draw string is definitely a one size fist all. I like the sash around the middle. For me I would do some inverted pleats and attach a wide waist band to accomplish the same effect.

I think I could make that i about an hour.

But then you have the petticoats. I was reading that pdf above. It was basically the same as the skirt but 1 to 2 inches shorter. Do you think we could get away with just the skirt? Without puffing it up? I am already puffy enough. :D

g

Oh I love the belt. Picture an nice pair of lace up brown boots. Where can I get the shirt??? Ok I found them on her etsy Site. I guess I should find a pattern. I cant pay 45 bucks per shirt.