Pork fat rules! Freemotion drools! More ideas, please...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
i've fried bread in bacon fat... the herb cheese breads work great for it...
:drool I forgot about that one! I used to make a wonderful breakfast with bits of cut up stale bread fried in butter until crisp, then beaten eggs quickly fried up over the bread. Holy Hog, that is good! Guess what is for breakfast or lunch tomorrow???

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, I have quarts of strained bacon fat in the freezer and it is still coming in...

So I have been making warm vinaigrettes with it, good on wilted spinach salads..

I slather a whole chicken with it before baking...

Frying sweet potato chips with it...

I use it for all my cast iron cooking, and seasoning...

I'm going to make that mayo with it for sure!

You can butter corn bread with it, no? Anyway it sounds good. (I miss corn bread!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yummy ideas, BBH! Thanks, now I'm hungry again.....

I remember as a kid a farm wife with a large, hungry family of 5 boys and one girl would save all drippings, but mostly bacon fat, and make chocolate cake-type donuts in it! The chocolate helped hide (not really) the bacon flavor. They were good!

Tallow is better, though. :p

Deputy Dawg

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wow!! I can see the Cholestrol build up coming on fast!! As ya'll age, all these things we did at a young age catch up with ya'll. And Cholestrol is of major concern, as all the plaque builds up in your arteries. Scary things, start happening.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bacon Grease + Mashed Potatoes = HEAVEN!

I also use bacon grease to toast in inside of my hubby's sandwich rolls. Other then that I use it in mayo, and to cook my vegetables.

In the past I've used it in savory pastry crust and to fry doughnuts.

ETA: Cholesterol is naturally occurring in the body. In fact your body will regulate its creation according to how much you consume. Animal fats actually INCREASE the good cholesterol in your body which helps lower the risk for heart disease. I will say this: Bacon isn't the healthiest meat you can consume especially if you're eating store-bought bacon. Any drugs that those pigs are given could be stored in the fat and when you're cooking in bacon grease, you're cooking in the residuals of those drugs. I'd be more concerned about that than cholesterol.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Deputy Dawg said:
Wow!! I can see the Cholestrol build up coming on fast!! As ya'll age, all these things we did at a young age catch up with ya'll. And Cholestrol is of major concern, as all the plaque builds up in your arteries. Scary things, start happening.
Wifezilla, I will give this one to you....

I have no concern about taking in large amounts of pastured animal fats....it is processed sugar, white flour, etc that will raise one's cholesterol, cause systemic inflammation in the body, and put one in danger of a cardiovascular event. The fat I have access to (finally! Hallelujah!) is protective, not harmful.

And what kitchwitch said!

Deputy Dawg, do a quick search on ss and you will find several discussions (and some fights! :lol: Amazing! :rolleyes: ) about this very subject. The good saturated fat discussion can also be found, with lots of science, with a search on this site: www.westonapricefoundation.org

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I strain it and put it into canning jars while still pretty warm and keep it in the fridge. I'd freeze it for longer storage....that has never been an issue for me until now! I give everything the sniff test before using it, and date everything that is in storage. Saturated fats are pretty stable, unlike veg oils, which break down in processing and break down even faster after heating.

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I dunno if you are only looking for edible recipes, but pig fat makes wonderful soap! You would have to refine it a bit, but it makes your skin SO soft! Love it!! :love

If you are interested I will post a few recipes I found for making soap from lard. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
MysticScorpio82 said:
I dunno if you are only looking for edible recipes, but pig fat makes wonderful soap! You would have to refine it a bit, but it makes your skin SO soft! Love it!! :love

If you are interested I will post a few recipes I found for making soap from lard. :)
Yes please!