WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Grandmother used to have a crabapple tree and it made the best jelly.

I have 6 cockerels I need to process. I still am without a canner so I will freeze them. They are starting to attack us. I have scratches on my legs. Kicking them away only lasts until the next time I'm outside.

I did dehydrate some of my cooked kidney beans today. One way or another I will preserve food.

I'm planning on getting some cabbage, onions, carrots and make some more Amish coleslaw. I just love that stuff. It's good on a sandwich or mixed with mayonnaise as a side dish.

If I could get a good deal on apples I would make more of the apple pie preserves. DH and the Wildbunch loved that stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got a big, limber switch or cane you can implement? Lie in wait for them and do a surprise attack on them like they do on you, no warning, just attack....keep them on the run until they are as nervous as cats when you are around. When you go on the offense instead of defense on those cockerels, they will leave you alone. And it's kind of fun to see them jump and run when you thwack their heinies with a switch...gives them a little of their own medicine right back to them. Doesn't really hurt them~they've got fluffy feathers there~ but does surprise them and scare them enough that they know they've been schooled.

Follow through....make sure they are looking over their shoulders for you at all times, not the other way around.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spent two weeks growling and chasing a rooster everytime I saw him because he decided spurring me was the thing to do. He got the hint and was super cautious and respectful of me after that.

I prefer my silkie boys. They don't seem to ever have the thought. They also tame down to pets pretty easy.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finally started chasing mine around. They're in the freezer now but it greatly improved their behavior when I scared them.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yuckyuck :lol: Yeah! They were staying clear today after I chased them around with the feed bucket. They didn't even get after DH or the Wildbunch but I really like that switch idea. I am going to do that. I needed a good laugh.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My MIL would stretch her neck at them and cock her arms to kind of imitate their threat posture. It was fun to watch as they did the bird equivalent of whistling and looking at the sky.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just processed all but one of my cockerels and wouldn't you know the meanest one was the one that escaped the knife. He may still end up in the pot since he hasn't gotten any nicer after seeing what happened to his brothers, lol.

On another note: Someone blessed me with a 16qt. brand new Presto Pressure Canner last night. I am soooo happy! I plan on canning up those bad boys as soon as I get some jars. My neighbor told she had some jars I could have so I will have to run by and pick them up.

Thank's for suggesting I let the word out for canning supplies. I did post it on facebook and I have been praying so now I'm ready to start pressure canning (almost). The same person that gave me the canner also gave me 20 pounds of ground beef, 2 packages of pork chops, 2 packages of chicken legs, 10 pounds of bacon, a pork roast and a beautiful poinsettia. A few days ago she had called and said that she wanted to get DH and me something for Christmas and what did I want. She said she could spend at least $100 and to think about it. I asked DH what we should say and he said a canner. So when she called me back that's what I did. She also spent $200 apiece on each of my children for clothes and toys. In all over a $1000. I am overwhelmed at this generosity of someone I hardly know. One of my sons has had an ongoing problem and she works with a our family helping through her agency. When she first asked and said she would help us out with Christmas I really did not expect anything like this. I thought maybe a frozen turkey or something to that effect.