WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while... Last night I put up 10 quarts of chicken soup.... Well, chicken / turkey really, I had saved a few quarts of chicken broth from the last time and added it to turkey soup. You can cry fowl if you like! :lol:

10409.jpg

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday - 5 quarts + 1 pint green tomato relish

Many of you get soooo much canning done! HOW? Do you can in your sleep?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Apple juice...probably around 50-60 quarts. Apple sauce....not sure yet, but probably around the same. Also canning chicken and dog food tomorrow.

I'm thinking about putting my apple meal into the dog food. What do you think? They eat apples all the time right now and probably won't care to do so this winter. It would be added nutrition.... :)

The dog food will have chicken organs and bones~cooked until soft, eggs, rice, potatoes, onions, apple meal and possibly crimped oats and some vegetable oil.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
How many canners do you have? The juice, do you water bath it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I water bath everything! I no longer use a pressure cooker for canning....yeah, I know :rolleyes: ....but I don't.

I have just one canner.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
prism said:
Many of you get soooo much canning done! HOW? Do you can in your sleep?
Personally no... but sometimes I get REALLY sleepy! :p :gig

I try to can a little bit at a time and can often. I usually will do a canner load after cleaning up from dinner for example. I may snap the green beans while I watch some TV and then put on the canner. I keep a close eye on it while it is cooking, then back to TV, laundry or another task while the canner cools down.

Canning gets to be more of a habit the more often you do it. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep....major multitasking! I'm doing laundry, baking bread, canning and typing on here as we speak. I save up small batches of things to be canned in my freezer....then I have a canning day.

So, today I will be doing juice, sauce and ending up with chicken and dog food. All the while finishing up paperwork from work, putting plastic on the storm doors and the chicken coop windows, cleaning my room and hopefully the porch.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yesterday I canned 4 qrts of pinto beans. I thought I would get several more but the huge amount of beans that I soaked only filled 4! Next time I guess I need to soak 2 huge bowls of beans!

Edited because apparently I can't count