WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm going to have to try something like that!
Yesterday when I was steaming potatoes for the dehydrator, I remember that the steam water became potato water. And since someone here mentioned boiling the apples twice I think or it was the skins, I had the idea that I might be able to steam this batch of juicer pulp & skins and get a clear juice. So I'm steaming 3 cups of it, and the remaining 3 cups are divided into 1/2 c. portions and are flash freezing in my upright for later baking. I think my 1/2 gallon of juice, pulp and all, will be divine for this jam and for syrup.

I've cooked down the juice straining (1 pint), which are pulp only, with some cinnamon and that is about to go on the fruit leather tray once it's cool. I've never made leather before but it sounds like a good idea. I'm so glad my neighbor donated her old dehydrator, this is fun. I've also got 2 trays of cucumbers in now that the potatoes & squash are out. Most of the veggies are destined to be powder or flakes for soups or dressings.

I've got to harvest for tomorrow's market so I don't have a full day available, so I may wait to do my baking apples, and instead start a crock pot of split pea soup for canning since that requires NO attention at all.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I made a double batch of THIS ! Although I made it smooth, not chunky. Darn, there was a smidge left in the pan. What to do, what to do????

sufficientforme said:
Spiced Peach
from recipezaar
Ingredients

* 8 cups pitted peeled, chopped, peaches
* 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 6 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin (I tried one whole box
of sure jell it did not set, needs the two extra tablespoons)
* 5 cups sugar
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* zest of half a lemon, finely chopped.

Directions

1. Sterilize the jars, rings and lids.
2.In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the peaches and lemon juice to a boil.
3.Add the pectin and return the mixture to a boil.
4.Stirring constantly, slowly add the sugar.
5.Stir in the crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and lemon zest and continue to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
6.Remove from the heat stir for 5 minutes to prevent the fruit chunks from settling on the top. Skim any foam from the top of the jam if necessary after stirring.
7.Carefully pour the jam into the jars, leaving 1/4 inch space between the jam and the neck of the jar.
8.Cover with the lids and screw the bands on process in waterbath canner for 10 minutes for altitude under 1000.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/418_100_4224.jpg

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2 pints of Rhubarb sauce. I discovered rhubarb this Spring. I can't believe I didn't know how good it was. In my mind it looked like celery so it must taste like celery. Now I'm addicted to rhubarb!!!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Finished canning whole pitted cherries in juice,wild rasbarry jam.going to make black current jelly and watermelon jelly tomorrow.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made Grape & Watermelon jelly Sunday - 1st time ever making jelly. Had to re-do the watermelon - now I know to follow the recipe. I didn't have any lemon juice and tried adding some lemonade mix instead - live and learn

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, lemon is an important step in adding acid to your food for proper preservation not flavor :) You will quickly become addicted to putting up those pretty jars in the pantry, I love to can, made Bing Cherry Jam today!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whoooo Hoooo!!!!!

I finally got something canned this season. Nectarine jam from my own tree!!!

:weee :weee

I hope this is just the start!

G

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always leave the jars on the counter for a few days, it seems to motivate me to put up more jars and get creative with ingredients.
Nectarine sounds really good, I have not seen a good crop of those here yet.