What are you fermenting today?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm only read on page 3 but just had to say that "I never had a clue!". :bow

Fermenting 5 gallons of watermelon juice, here, but I see expansion in my future! ;)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the brine water left in the jar after the fermented sauerkraut is gone has a use? Could I put it in a new batch of kraut? My very first batch has been yummy, but it is about used up. Second batch not quite ready. Even Hubs is asking to eat it with supper every night!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
The brine is supposed to be a good digestive tonic. Apparently you can just drink it. Mine has always had a bit too much "bloom" on the top so by the time I've drained that off, I haven't had enough left to worry about.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've read, though I can't say where right at this moment, that it has been used as a skin tonic - splash it on, and leave it there for a bit, I would imagine, and rinse off. Supposed to keep the skin soft. And, of course, aromatic! :gig. I have errands this morning, but I'll try to find the reference when I get home - just for giggles of course ;)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was given a 9lb cabbage that I want to kraut. I don't have a crock, but I was wondering if one of the food grade buckets I got from the bakery would work if I could find a cover and weight to fit?
I have one bucket that held garlic butter, and even though I've cleaned it and soaked it with bleach, it still smells like garlic- would that one be a problem?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Do you have any 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon glass jars? If you have 2 gallon glass jars, that would be enough for 9 lbs of kraut. When I do 5 lbs kraut, it fills a 1 gallon jar up about 3/4 of the way. If not, I would say the food grade bucket would be your next best choice. I can't see that a little garlic smell would hurt anything.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response :) I have a couple of 1 gallon glass jars, but the problem I saw with them was that since the top is narrower than the body of the jar, I wouldn't be able to get a weight in there that would keep the cabbage under the brine? With the plastic bucket it has straight sides so I was going to cut a piece of wood (DH suggested plywood but I was a little concerned about the glues in plywood).

I have heard about people filling a ziploc with more brine (in case of leaks) and using that as a weight, maybe I'll try that in the gallon jars.

I've been surfing today and found a lot of great sounding fermented recipes, like ketchup, mayo and mustard and others... Can't wait!

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am taking my first step into fermenting today, and fermenting some salsa. It's all mixed up and on the counter as I type, I'll let you know how it goes!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Britesea, the ziploc works fine in the glass jars. Just make sure to fill it with brine and not water in case of leaks.

DianeS -you'll be hooked in no time!