What did you do to save $ today?

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FM,

Could you post your vanilla recipe in the kitchen section please?

I'm really interested in looking into this.

Please, pretty please :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saved some money today :). I needed a sack of layer pellets, and the local feed store was discontinuing their line of organic feed (which isn't good), but were selling the last of their inventory for less than half - $10 instead of $22 - so I bought their last 3 sacks. It takes my small flock about 9 or 10 weeks to go through a 50 lb sack, so I'm set now for approx. the next 7 months, at about a dollar a week :lol: So, 7 months to find a new local source of organic chicken feed :rolleyes:.
I also saved in that I did not buy 25 lbs of chick starter to get the 5 free pullet babies :lol: It was tempting, but I just do not have room.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made another batch of soap, this time using part chicken fat as an experiment....free fat! I also started a batch of catfood, which I will finish and can tomorrow.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Let us know how the chicken fat works. Soap making is in my 5 year plan--wish it wer higer on the list, but one only has so much time and sooooo many things that need to be done.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saved money today by making homemade ricotta cheese :plbb . The cost of a 2 pound container from the store is $7 while the homemade cost me $2.50 and a little time.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made homemade vanilla. It won't be usable for a while, but will save me several dollars on just 1 pint, and I'm hoping it will taste better :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
VT-chicklit--Can you share your ricotta-making wisdom? I can't seem to make the stuff to save my life! I have only tried using the whey left over from making mozzarella, which is what my kit directions tell me to do, but it never works. :rant

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will be glad to. I will post it tomorrow in the cooking section of this forum. This was the first time I made ricotta and I was surprised how easy it was. I used a recipe that I found on this site or from BYC a while ago. I will see if I can find it in the threads so that I can give credit to the owner. I am not very good at finding old posts but I will give it a try. The ricotta I made was from whole milk and it used citric acid and canning salt. It was tasty!