What did you do to save $ today?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just found the recipe. It was a recipe from patandchickens. I have posted to that thread so that it would come to the top of the list and be easy for you to find. It is an excellent and easy recipe!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hung out 5 loads of laundry. Made a batch of whole wheat banana choc chip muffins. Last night I turned the lights all off sooner too. Dh has measured to get the sunscreens made for all the windows. Covered 2 of the windows to block the direct light from getting in & heating up the house in the afternoon already. Using ceiling fans instead of turning on the ac in the afternoons.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'll be over for a muffin later. I have 33 pints of catfood in the canner and 3 pints of chicken broth just to fill up the load. Hope to report more savings by the end of today, as I am mostly off. Slow week, scary, so I have to save money especially when I am not making it!!!

ETA: Someone WILL ask how I got so many jars in my canner....two canners, 20 reg mouth in one and 16 wide mouth in the other! :cool:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I'll be over for a muffin later. I have 33 pints of catfood in the canner and 3 pints of chicken broth just to fill up the load. Hope to report more savings by the end of today, as I am mostly off. Slow week, scary, so I have to save money especially when I am not making it!!!

ETA: Someone WILL ask how I got so many jars in my canner....two canners, 20 reg mouth in one and 16 wide mouth in the other! :cool:
Out of curiosity, what recipe do you use for canning cat food? And do you have a dog food recipe? I have been putting away dehydrated raw dog food, but your post peaked my interest :) TIA

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The instructions are in the recipe section, here: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1936

There is also a thread about feeding dogs raw, which you already do! I feed raw, so I don't make food other than putting wings in the freezer. If I ever had to produce my own, I would get some rabbits and feed the little ones to him. I would rather deal with chicken wings, though! :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
For supper.....a little less than a pound of pork loin cubes, reduced for quick sale for $1.68, browned and simmered with home-canned cream of mushroom soup and a cup of Mya's rich goat's milk and a handful of scallions from last summer's garden. DH is steaming veggies now and I am so hungry I can hardly stand it! I think I will have room for another jar of peanuts after supper for a snack.

Just started making ice cubes to stock up for my first attempt at frozen yogurt. Oh, also made (yesterday, bagged it today) a batch of thermophilic mother culture, I have only one packet of direct set left so now we will see if it works! Dropped a cube while bagging it, and the dog had a yummy snack! I think I might make some cheese tomorrow, if I have three gallons of milk, have to check.

Gotta try that ricotta salata recipe everyone's talking about, too.

Also made arrangements for someone to come and kill two of my toms and my rooster. He got me in the left knee today and I am worried about it, I must've twisted a bit and feels like a ligament issue. Iced and wrapped it, but elevation and rest????? What is that???? So I will get a dressed turkey and a leg of George and they will get the other turkey and the rest of George the roo. DH is horrified that I am keeping part of George to eat. I carry scars, I will nourish myself with him, he owes me! :tongue

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Well, wouldn't eing gathering eggs from chickens be a form of saving money?
Not very much, but I will take "free" eggs than store bought.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sure, I'd count gathering eggs. Take the price of premium eggs from the store and double it. That is what I figure homegrown and truly free-range and cruelty-free eggs are worth!

Latest posts