What did you do to save $ today?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bought more CFLs at $6 for 3/60kw bulbs.

Bought 7 laying pullets at $6 ea. and they will pay for themselves in about a month with egg sales.

Will cull approx. 7 older hens and a roo this weekend, freeze and then can them up later during canning season, when the water is already hot. ;) May even incorporate them into some slumgullion that I am canning this summer.

Selling eggs like hotcakes now, which pays for feed and plenty left over for profit.

Bartering eggs for seed potatoes, which are supposed to become pretty pricey this year.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
So far today I cut the snags and loose end off of assorted towels to make them look better and keep them out of the rag bin a little longer, gave my dog homemade dog food for breakfast, gave my chickens homegrown millet for a treat, used a lemon and table salt to clean my countertops and sink,
I am planning on: planting more seeds in pots to make our own starts, freeze ground beef and sausages that we bought in bulk, freeze asparagus from the garden, cut tall grass to make into hay - we don't need much so I just do it by hand, wear old beat-up clothes not fit for public places when I work in the garden and wear them several days in a row so I don't have to wash them (I change into better clothes when I work in the front yard or leave the property ;) ), air our bedding instead of washing it (the sun and wind do an amazing job of freshening those up).
I've got to remember to ask my mother how she did things, when I was a kid. She is usually an excellent source for learning how to do things in a simpler way, she grew up that way!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did some of my beginning of the month grocery stocking up. And this month I started telling my kids I have 2 boxes of this and 3 boxes of that and I am not going to buy more this month, when its gone its gone. I want to cut down on my in between trips to the store which you end up picking up 'just a couple' things you dont need.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Went to PE today for ds & they were selling curriculum(some anyway) & some were giving away. I got at least 8 books & a geography poster for free!!! Some is for ds some for dd & some for both!! I love free!!!!! :celebrate

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I went to TSC today and didnt buy anything. But it doesnt make up for the $8 I spent on food to day, my bad.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made whole wheat pitas, yogurt and started some alfalfa sprouts. I also packed my own lunch!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made mozzarella and ricotta (AGAIN :rolleyes: ) and canned up the rest of my peanuts....28 quarts and about a quart leftover that are cooling right now so I can eat 'em for a snack.

I also dug out all my seed starting stuff like cell six-packs I washed out last year, and put my starter mix in a bucket and stirred in some water. No more putting it off. That'll give me about a week to get my grow light set up, I have one shoplight and bulbs and some free scraps of wood, planning to make two shelves and get another shoplight.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I made mozzarella and ricotta (AGAIN :rolleyes: ) and canned up the rest of my peanuts....28 quarts and about a quart leftover that are cooling right now so I can eat 'em for a snack.
I have not been on this site for a while and I am glad to see you found your peanuts.

What I did last week was I went to Kohl's looking for dresses to wear to work this summer add picked up a skirt and top and when I thought about it I put everything back on the rack and walked out.

The department next to mine at work cut from 27 people to 7 last week. Until I know I have a job there is no need to buy clothes. I can make do on what I own. I am trying to eat out of the freezer so I have cut way back on groceries.

Susan

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went grocery shopping today. Smiths-Kroger has a boxed goods sale.
I bought a ton of tuna fish at 50 cents a can. I usually spend much more for that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Culled my flock of layers and processed them for canning later on this year.

Changed our own oil in the truck.

Worked all day outside~which means we didn't use any electricity inside! ;)

Latest posts