Will The US Dollar Collapse?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We lived in a small town 75 miles north of Houston, Texas. In 2005, Hurricane Rita came blowing in and Houston evacuated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita
scroll down to Texas

A 1-2 hour drive turned into 22-28 hours. People were supposed to go past our town, but they ran out of gas. Cars overheated, people actually died in their cars from the heat. We, as a town, opened up our churches and schools. I was a member of the Red Cross and I spent the nights in an elementary school behind the house. I also spent a couple of nights at church, staying awake, so that the evacuees could sleep. There was no power, it was hot, no preparations for the masses of people. We ran out of food at church, so I went scrounging. The owner of the Sonic (a fast food drive in) opened up his freezer and loaded my truck up. After giving the church all they needed, I spread it around the neighborhood.

It was pandemonium. Luckily, gas deliveries were made and people could go back home. If that had not happened, things could have gotten real ugly. Our Junior High campus was beyond vandalized by the people sheltered there. They even rubbed human feces on the walls. WTF?? WHY turn on the very ones trying to help you?? :he The school was closed for two weeks, scrubbed, cleaned and sanitized. Animals.

I saw enough to realize that I never wanted to be in the path of millions of scared, fleeing people again. It was a real eye opener. We couldn't just quit our jobs and move, but I began preparing for just that. We bought our place in September 2014. I spent several months painting the house, ripping up flooring and putting down new floors. With the help of a neighbor, built enough fence to hold our horses. We moved in February of 2015. We sold our house and paid for this one. We sold some land and paid for the improvements here. We have 8 acres. It's enough to sustain us and our daughter and her family if push comes to shove.

I get these scare-you-to-death-buy-my-newsletter things in the mail and they recommend buying a second home, get another country's passport and blah, blah, blah. Dude! I have ONE home and I don't even HAVE a passport of any kind. Gheesh. This IS my prep and we are working hard to get it all fenced, structures built, garden site improved, fruit/nut trees planted, berries, small livestock and connecting with our community.

If our dollar collapses, things will get tight. We will have the ability to raise chickens and sheep and a garden. We are stocking up on things that will be useful, collapse or no collapse. At the very least, we can live a very good life in a great place with wonderful neighbors.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't see how it won't collapse, but it might be with a whimper and not a bang. You can't keep running up debt the way this country is doing and just keep printing money that has no real value behind it. That coupled with the many other countries turning away from dealing in US dollars, and our gov't unable to force it like they used to, puts us on a real slippery slope.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

They mention that they sell on ebay, so I went to their ebay site. The first thing I noticed is the shipping weight of this stove is only 181 lbs. At that weight, they must use very little cast iron and mostly sheet metal. Most stoves of a similar model to this usually weigh upwards of 800 to 1000lbs because they are made of all cast iron.

It also has a rather small fire box. In one area it says the fire box is 9" Height, 9" Wide, 18" Depth, but in another area, they say the fire box is 7"W x 7"H x 24"L

The Water reservoir with 1.2 gallon capacity is small

Oven dimensions(10 1/4" Height, 14 1/4" Wde, 17" Depth) also small

This stove looks like it might be adequate for a cabin or small weekend home, but for everyday use in a regular home off the grid either by choice or circumstance, I think it would be insufficient. It lacks multiple burners (only two), has a small oven, small water reservoir, and I'm sure does not have the BTU capacity to heat a house at the same time. They don't even mention the BTU output which I find strange.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I go to the thrift stores and look for flat sheets- they can go for as little as 50 cents if they don't have a fitted sheet to match. I use them for all kinds of sewing projects like tunic tops and market bags. I figure if underwear and elastic become hard to get I can always make boxers for both genders, with drawstrings instead of elastic. I also buy yarn at the thrift stores. Even if you can't find enough of one color to make an item of clothing, you can knit or crochet squares and then sew them together to make a sweater or something.

We have several alternate ways to cook a meal now- depending on the weather and the availability of different fuels- our gas stove, the wood-burning heater can handle some cooking, the outside grill and propane camp stove, and a solar oven. I want to make a roof/shelter for the grill and camp stove in case it's raining or snowing as well.

Other low tech stuff on my list... getting the parts together for an evaporative cooler to keep meat and milk cool at least. I acquired a MAJOR mortar and pestle (weighs about 25 pounds) and is a good low-tech substitute for a blender or food processor (pesto made with it is truly superior). We have several oil lamps and candle sconces, with some stockpiled supplies. I don't know if kerosene will be easily available though.

Don't forget entertainment! musical instruments, books, cards and boardgames.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK -- so this has been tromping through what mind I have left, but I had a DREAM....read this a DREAM.....that we had a collapse & depression. The banks didn't close but, people were out of work due to stores closing. My area is rural. The stores where I work as a 3rd party merchandiser were closing.....I was out of work (as were many of the people regionally in this small town) but I still had my retirement income.

So, I found myself well set with reserves and animals to produce more and out of work! (not a problem, I still had income which kept coming). THEN (in my DREAM) some guy came on to my farm to steal chickens!!!! I caught him, took my chickens, talked and gave him food for his family. DO NOT take my chickens, they feed us all. :lol::eek:

He could not get to a store, no money, no gas, no transportation. I had only a horse that I could ride, given free because owner could no longer pay board at their stable and I had a barn and fields of grass, so horse didn't starve.......guys, I am not liking these thoughts:( People & animals going hungry!

I do not like these dreams! So far as the issue it will create if such a financial collapse occurs.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree. I have read posts from other preppers that talk about blowing away anyone that comes near them. Me? I'd rather help them with some food, some seeds, teach them some skills like foraging or whatnot. I want my neighbors alive and on my side if trouble comes. We do have the means to fight off anyone that wants to simply take everything we have though, because I'm sure there will be people with that mind set. (I call them feral humans because they no longer have the attitudes necessary to live within a community)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here in my small rural community, ( a few roads) I am trying to lead by example. People have several acres at a minimum and grow nothing. :he Our closest friend does grow a garden, but his wife wears a proud badge of "I'm NOT putting that up" DUMB. He has tried for some time to convince her to stock up and she ridiculed him. I got on his side and had some common sense talks with her and now she is all about buying more buckets and filling them up. Victory. Another neighbor, a couple, has expressed an interest in a small garden. Husband doesn't want wife to, she has a very bad back (why he wouldn't work the garden is beyond me). Neighbor and friend #1 and I have agreed to build them a couple of raised beds. They like the long green beans I raise, so I am going to plant them a row in the spring, trellis it and then all they have to do is water it and pick the beans. At least they want to do a little bit.

I can't feed the whole neighborhood, but if they will, I will teach them/help them to help themselves.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This might work for the woman with the bad back: http://www.ana-white.com/2014/09/DIY_furniture/counter-height-garden-boxes-2-feet-x-4-feet (plans)
planter.jpg

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got these crates for FREE from work.. used for shipping long aluminum tubes, they just throw them away when they are done... so I grabbed a few. Already have a plastic liner too!

A few legs and I could have had them a bit higher... (not really a requirement for me)

20160714_062206.jpg