Will The US Dollar Collapse?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Personally, I like to keep a few "how to" books on hand. I have some that deal with fundamental things which can be done without all of our nice equipment -- some are homesteading from digging wells to whatever. Along that line, just knowing how to make things from scratch &/or with unusual resources is a benefit to be able to maintain what you have, grow, use, & make things many take for granted -- vinegar, sugar, flour, butter, oils, soaps, etc. Most of what we all do to some extent. Bartering will become more popular in a crash. And knowing what animals can provide & be more easily kept at least cost, i.e rabbits, chickens, ducks, goats, pigs.

I can say that such crash/collapse issues give great value to a rooster. :lol: I have no use for one EXCEPT to fertilize eggs so that new chicks could be hatched for more hens, eggs, extras to butcher & trade. The girls & I have happily handled eggs for a long time without any crowing. But I have a few now. It was simply for a production project I'm working on and then they would be "phased" out. Guess they now have a purpose. Ahhhh....love my broody hens!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How to make wine book!

Spices-all come from overseas!

FEM-look on Craigslist for fuel tanks. We got a 500 gallon tank on a stand for $400.

Chocolate-dry cocoa stores forever.

Medications-almost all are made overseas. What do you think the plummeting dollar will do to the price of pharmaceuticals? Stocking up is a good idea.

Antibiotics. Fish antibiotics are identical to human antibiotics. And much cheaper, no prescription-stock up 'cause we got some sick fishies!

FEM-good point about buying silver. When our dollar bites the dust, it would be a good thing to have some REAL money in hand.

This is good! We are making up a good list of things to have on hand. Buy it now or pay more later, if you can even get it! Ya'll keep it coming!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have been looking at wood cookstoves. Right now the one we favor is the Pioneer Princess Wood Burning Cookstove.

Attachments

• PioneerPrincess_SideRes.jpg
    PioneerPrincess_SideRes.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 224

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just got this off an email that I subscribe to. It has some good storage items on it.

I will share with you the following list of items that I have in my food storage: Salt, water in gallon jugs, Clorox and Lugols iodine for disinfecting and purifying water (six drops per gallon of water), brown and white sugar, dry beans and pastas of all kinds, chili, mayonnaise, coffee, sardines, tea, olive oil, rice, baked beans and pork and beans, cereal, canned soups, kraut, salmon, canned white tuna in water, food bars, a few frozen dinners, olives, pickles and treats (chose those you like), minimum amount of cake mix, flour, cornmeal, seasonings for cooking, dried and canned milk, all paper products, cleaning products, basic patent medicines such as cough medicine, cough drops, Tylenol, eye drops.

One of the best foods to store is vacuum sealed dry foods of all kinds. These will last for years and years.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sent them a message asking if it is mobile home approved. Hoping! :fl

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cute, too ;)

Very similar in layout/style that my grandmas used to be. She had warmer area at top. Best bread ever from that oven. At that time it wasn't anything like this "good" price. It was used for at least 20 yrs that I know of.

Some cinder block, grates, cast iron dutch oven... under a slant roof, near the house...that would be my own take on making do. I just would not use it enough to justify the cost...besides not working in my kitchen. I'd need to add the cost of a room addition :lol:

A lot of this list is on the tread "best foods to stockpile", also.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But it's not about just foods. This thread is pointing out that whatever you use or consume that is imported is going to go way up in cost. We have lots of conversations on foods, but this is on import items. Start looking at where things come from, you might want to buy extra.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ammunition for hunting and protection: Today I bought 250 rounds of birdshot and 50 rounds of buckshot for under $100. I had 2 - $10 coupons for Dick's Sporting Goods. Of course, I will buy more over time.

Tuna Fish: I just started looking at Best By dates on cans. Our grocery store has a week long special on Bumble Bee Solid White for $1.00 a can...no limit. The Best By date is 3 years from now, so I bought 12 cans. I am going to buy many more and just rotate them as I use them so I always have tuna that's good for about 3 years...and, I am going to start looking for sales on other canned items that we don't can ourselves.

Ammunition and food, not to mention things like batteries and medications, and many other items, will be good for bartering as well. I would stock up on good bartering items before I stocked up on silver or gold.