Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sounds wonderful, but kinda unfriendly to diabetics...:/ especially having more of them every 10 days. I have a hard enough time with DH baking his sourdough seed bread every week

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't feed mine with one cup of everything, just equal amounts - 1/4 cup is enough to keep it alive. Then I pop it in the freezer when we're getting tired of it. When you want to bake again, bring the starter to room temp, feed and start the 10 day cycle again.

I just baked two loaves yesterday! Good stuff!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That seems like a ton of sugar. Isn't it sickening sweet? I'll have to try it when my starter is ready.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is sweet, more like cake than bread. Instead of just sugaring the pans, I use cinnamon/sugar and then put some on top of the batter before I bake it, too.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neko, the Amish bread without the pudding was that much different? Huh, interesting. I guess there is more sugar in the pudding mix. Does your oven run a bit on the hot side? I've never had the sugar carmelize on mine.

I made it yesterday to take to our daughter's. Since it was the first loaves of the baking season, we were hitting it hard. Now I'm antsy to try the basic sourdough bread!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When I did the friendshipt bread, I never used the pudding mix in any of my concoctions. I made many different varieties. I'll go look in my notes tomorrow. They wre all very good.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
The oven is fan forced, which I'm still getting used to. It's also a case of me having to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, which is never an accurate process. And yeah, my last memory of the cake was a sweet, moist, rich consistency. I'm assuming that's what the pudding does for it (as well as all the artificial whatevers and extra sugar it has).
Oh! That says it right there! :D I have a convection oven too. All they said was to lower the temp by 25 degrees F, and bake for 'about 2/3 of the regular baking time'.

I don't turn the fan on too often. :/

And if I had to convert C to F? I'd be seriously screwed.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was out of buttermilk one night when I wanted to make biscuits so I added some sour dough starter for the tang. They turned out great but the + side was they were still tasty and moist 2-3 days later.

Here is a recipe for ginger bread: It is from SIMPLY SOURDOUGH -The Alaskan Way- by Kathy Doogan
( I purchased it in Homer while visiting family and a starter came with it)

1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c shortening or butter
1/2 cup dark molasses
1-2 eggs (it calls for one but it gets 2 when the hens are laying good)
1 1/2 cups flour (okay to use part or all whole wheat)
1/2 t salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cup hot water
1 cup sourdough starter

( I dump it all in the kitchen aide and mix until smooth but I will give you her directions)
In a large mixing bowl, cream brown sugar, shortening or butter until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg and beat until well combined. Sift flour baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves into a small bowl; stir in hot water. Pour this mixture into the sugar and egg mixture blending well. Slowly add the sourdough starter, mixing gently. Pour batter into a greased 9" square pan. Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.