1 cup sourdough starter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter softened
1 egg
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 to 4 1/2 cups flower

In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand a few minutes until mixture bubbles, then mix in the starter, sugar, butter, egg, salt, baking soda, cheese and 3 1/2 cups of flour. Mix well then turn out on to a floured board and knead for 5 to 8 minutes, kneading in enough of the remaining 1 cup of flour to make a soft dough. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn to coat top. Cover loosely and let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until double. Punch down, turn out onto a floured board, cover loosely and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Divide dough into 24 pieces; with oiled hands, shape into balls and place at least 2" apart on greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise again until double, about 30 to 45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes. Makes 24 rolls.

I have added garlic powder (1/2tsp), 1-2 Tbs parsley, used whole wheat, and varied the types of cheese.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sourdough Waffles

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup milk
Add the butter milk mixture to

1 cup SD starter
1 cup white sugar
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt

Mix these together to form a thick batter
cover the bowl tightly and let stand at room temp for 8-14 hours

Preheat your waffle iron

Uncover batter ans whisk in 2 eggs
1/4 tsp baking soda

Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cups batter on hot waffle iron and close the lid. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown

Sourdough English Muffins

1 cup starter
2 tbsp honey
2 cups whole milk
4 cups flour, add a cup at time and mix until smooth

Let rest at room temp for 8-14 hours

In morning, add
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 cups flour gradually
2 tsp salt

Mix at speed 2 in kitchenaide until it clears the side of the bowl. It should be a medium stiff dough.Once it clears the sides of the bowl, knead for 5-7 minutes, until it passes the windowpane test.

Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness

Take a 3" round cutter and and cut as many rounds as youcan, reworking to dough to use it all up.

As you cut each round, place on a cookie sheet tht has been generoulsy sprinkled with cornmeal. Let rest for one hour

Bake at 375F for 5-7 minutes per side. (They should not get too browned.)

Remove form cookie sheets and place on a clean towel and cover them up with another towel unti they have cooled. Makes about 18 english muffins.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth - your sourdough waffles recipe does not use any starter. Is the 8 to 14 hr. holding time enough to sour the dough without using starter?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Boogity said:
miss_thenorth - your sourdough waffles recipe does not use any starter. Is the 8 to 14 hr. holding time enough to sour the dough without using starter?
Good eye! I edited it. I had to type it out, since I only have my recipes in hard pritn right now (my other computer is dead)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I finally got to try my first sourdough recipe. I used the "Sourdough English Muffins" recipe that miss_thenorth posted in #63 above. All went well but the finished product seems a little dense or heavy. I don't know how cooks and chefs say it. They taste wonderful but there are only tiny little air bubbles instead of the large holes and craters I was expecting. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I love the texture of Thomas's English Muffins and these aren't like that.

Is there something I did wrong or are there any suggestions to make them more airy inside?

I'm going to try some good old whole wheat sourdough bread later in the week.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Well I finally got to try my first sourdough recipe. I used the "Sourdough English Muffins" recipe that miss_thenorth posted in #63 above. All went well but the finished product seems a little dense or heavy. I don't know how cooks and chefs say it. They taste wonderful but there are only tiny little air bubbles instead of the large holes and craters I was expecting. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I love the texture of Thomas's English Muffins and these aren't like that.

Is there something I did wrong or are there any suggestions to make them more airy inside?

I'm going to try some good old whole wheat sourdough bread later in the week.
The sd english muffins don'thave the big crumb thta storebought ones do. But, how we usually cut them is to slice a thin band around the edge of the muffin then insert a fork to pull it apart. You could always put a pinch of yeast in your sponge if you wanted, but my kids love them as is. We don't expect homemade to be the same as storebought..

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, I started a sourdough sponge about two weeks ago, with rye flour. It did well, and after a couple of days I began using either whole wheat or unbleached white flour when I fed it. Really strong beer-y smell, nice and bubbly. I made bread with the starter last week using mostly sprouted wheat flour, following the H. John Ross recipe. After the first rise, it did not rise sufficiently, and the baked loaf was a sour, bitter brick. Even the chickens looked suspiciously at it. So I kept the starter going with unbleached flour, and tried the bread again yesterday using about 1/3 sprouted wheat, and 2/3 unbleached white flour. It rose the first time fine, (slow, but ok) but did not rise the second time. I left it in the oven with the light on, which normally gets my bread to rise beautifully. Also, the dough did not seem to be "elastic" when I kneaded it. It broke apart easily. The baked bread was very dense, of course, with a tough crust. So what do you think I need to do? Use bread flour? Add gluten? I don't want to add packaged yeast if I can avoid it--it's just the principle: using wild yeast. However, that sprouted wheat flour is expensive, and I am wasting it!! Suggestions? thanks---