Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome Sally! :frow

Okay, DH is getting antsy for homemade bread. I think I'm going to give it a go this afternoon even though it might be a bit early for it.

Neko, that can't be right, the 1/4 cup salt. My old cornbread recipe does have 1/4 cup sugar, so I think you're right. It also has 1/2 tsp salt, but you said that even with 1/4 tsp salt, it still tasted salty? I wonder if the sugar makes a difference - you know how that works.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't make bread yesterday. I fed the starter again, it's bubbly but just smells like flour and water. :/ It smelled better on day two. I dunno.

Found this site this morning, so I'm trying it, too. Then we'll have the taste test with the breads to look forward to!
http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/1...ng-bread-at-home-5-ingredients-simple-baking/

Basic starter recipe:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup water
2 tblsp yogurt

After that, it's feeding with just flour and water. See website for other details.

She has some nice pictures and detailed instructions for this no knead sourdough. Metric measurements, too, for those who find US measurements confusing.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What kind of flour ar you using? I tried many times to make a successful sd starter and found the key was to use ry and WW for the first few days. the yeast grows on the impurities in these flour types. But other things will grow also. Tht is why you do it for several days and wait for the sour smell. Once you have it and it is bubbling and doubling, yo strt swithcing it ove to white flour. That way only the sd yeast is being fed.

It will bubble and doubel, but not be the yeast you want, so you need to have patience when creating your starter.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh no kidding. Okay, I have both rye and ww here, so now it's back into the kitchen and starting over with that starter.

I was using just regular all purpose flour.

Thanks! (I am determined to make this work and have a great loaf of bread!)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Craaaaap, I already threw my first one out and started another one with the rye and ww. Guess I just didn't give it enough time, huh.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Question...

Can you use the same recipes for "Sourdough starter" and for "Amish Friendship bread starter" or do you use recipes designed only for that type of starter?

Ok, is that a dumb question??