2012 TSHTF Preps

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ORChick said:
big brown horse said:
Too slow for me Dace, one nice wham and you have crushed garlic. Plus your fingers dont smell like garlic all day. :p (And its fun! Especially if you have had a suckie day.)
BBH, this is a little hi-jack to address the concern of smelly garlic fingers. Don't you know that stainless steel gets rid of the smell? When finished doing your garlic prep just "wash" your hands under running water, and rubbing a spoon over them like you would a bar of soap. Smell is gone! Rubbing your hands on a stainless steel sink will also work. Fancy kitchen shops have little bars of stainless that you can buy, but why spend the money when a spoon will do the job? Lemon juice or coffee grounds also work, but then you have to wash them off too :lol:
BTW, I think your garlic crusher granite find is inspired! Truly thinking outside the box.
I like it when my hands smell like garlic :weee

Noobie, I like your shower idea :thumbsup

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I think if TSHTF the best thing a person could do to be prepared is to have survival knowledge. Learning about wild vegetation and what is edible and what would have any medicinal properties,..learning to trap, fish, and hunt,..start a fire without matches,.tanning hides,..primitive technology basically.Stockpiling stuff will only get you so far,...and someone else can always take it from you and staying in your home may not be an option. Knowledge and skills would and should be a must. ;)
Very succinctly said and more so to the point, less than 1% of the population knows how to run the infrastructure, when they are gone so is our world.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Have any of you read The Road? Great book about living, or rather surviving in a post apocalyptic world. Very grim, but eye opening.

I think they made a movie about it, but you know how that goes, never as good as the book.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I "like to fool" myself I got it covered
I like to "pretend" I have enough

all in my mind

cause any one of us has the situation in Haiti right now at our doorstep......it would be so wild I don't think we can function for a while.

BUT if we have a mindset of yes, we can survive, then you are way further than most.

an earthquake is a localized disaster.........imagnie a global one....UGH

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I just rub my soapy hands on the water spout. Cleans the faucet and my hands smell fine. A two-fer.

ORChick said:
big brown horse said:
Too slow for me Dace, one nice wham and you have crushed garlic. Plus your fingers dont smell like garlic all day. :p (And its fun! Especially if you have had a suckie day.)
BBH, this is a little hi-jack to address the concern of smelly garlic fingers. Don't you know that stainless steel gets rid of the smell? When finished doing your garlic prep just "wash" your hands under running water, and rubbing a spoon over them like you would a bar of soap. Smell is gone! Rubbing your hands on a stainless steel sink will also work. Fancy kitchen shops have little bars of stainless that you can buy, but why spend the money when a spoon will do the job? Lemon juice or coffee grounds also work, but then you have to wash them off too :lol:
BTW, I think your garlic crusher granite find is inspired! Truly thinking outside the box.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I never knew that about stainless steel taking off garlic smell until my SO told me awhile back. So many years not knowing this simple trick! (I wonder if I chewed on a spoon if it would get rid of garlic breath. I LOVE garlic!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
xpc said:
freemotion said:
I have two gallons of seawater on the woodstove, boiling down into, I hope, salt. I read something that indicated that certain conditions could produce epsom salts, not table salt. I'm confused by what I read about it, but you know me....I gotta try it!
----Monique, not really worried at all...... :cool:
Sodium to magnesium is variable and can be 20 to 1, fairly small that it would be unnoticeable, so don't worry about epsom. If you are getting your water from the pacific ocean and depending on how many glaciers and icebergs are melting at the time you should get about 3% sodium salt or about 3-4 ounces per gallon and fill about a third of a cup depending on how course it is after you do your fractional distillation. (chemistry still comes back to me after all these years). Based on one gallon, so two would be about 7 ounces of sea salt and by my grocery store prices you would be rich.
COOL!!!! I forgot to send the big 3-gallon jugs with my folks when they went to my aunt's beach cottage last week, so dad scrounged a couple of gallon water bottles and filled them. Next time, it'll be the big jugs and a couple of five gallon pails with lids. Might as well make double use of that woodstove!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Have any of you read The Road? Great book about living, or rather surviving in a post apocalyptic world. Very grim, but eye opening.

I think they made a movie about it, but you know how that goes, never as good as the book.
I finished that bout 2 weeks ago. there was one part that was haunting. I still think about it. I won't say in case someone is reading, but it has to do with food storage. spooky!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I remember that part.

What about the preggo lady? Creepy!!!!!! :duc

I read that book over a year ago and EVERYTHING in it still haunts me. Yikes!!

Dont forget the ending, crazy! :duc

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
xpc said:
freemotion said:
I have two gallons of seawater on the woodstove, boiling down into, I hope, salt. I read something that indicated that certain conditions could produce epsom salts, not table salt. I'm confused by what I read about it, but you know me....I gotta try it!
----Monique, not really worried at all...... :cool:
Sodium to magnesium is variable and can be 20 to 1, fairly small that it would be unnoticeable, so don't worry about epsom. If you are getting your water from the pacific ocean and depending on how many glaciers and icebergs are melting at the time you should get about 3% sodium salt or about 3-4 ounces per gallon and fill about a third of a cup depending on how course it is after you do your fractional distillation. (chemistry still comes back to me after all these years). Based on one gallon, so two would be about 7 ounces of sea salt and by my grocery store prices you would be rich.
COOL!!!! I forgot to send the big 3-gallon jugs with my folks when they went to my aunt's beach cottage last week, so dad scrounged a couple of gallon water bottles and filled them. Next time, it'll be the big jugs and a couple of five gallon pails with lids. Might as well make double use of that woodstove!
Remember when water evaporates it becomes a pure distillate and leaves everything behind, not just the salt but also fish poop and jelly globs.