2012 TSHTF Preps

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
WOW some real thought provoking replies - but I do not think we could "duplicate" current life if we experienced a world or just a US major catastrophe. I agree that if we experience a total life changing event - it may start as a natural disaster or as a localized terrorist attack - but what will get us is the eroding of services like shipping/trucking. Thinking long & hard about possible scenerios... I really believe it would egin like a winter snowstorm.... one flake at a time - the first flakes & accumalating inches would not cause any major concern but as time goes on & it builds up - it could stop all normal industry.
So as for me & my family - we do not worry about such things as being totally grid free or having the well (things I would love but can't afford yet). Instead we try to live as we always do and the basic needs would be food, shelter & heat, clothing & protection. Those things we keep on hand (not a years worth unfortunately) but we also have goats/sheep/cattle & horses & poultry & a garden. So I have a food supply available. I also have a creek so water could be purified & drunk. I burn wood to supplement electric heat now - so no change if the power is gone. We would simply section off part of the house & sleep near the fireplace. If our home was destroyed I am knowledgeable enough to rig a tent or other shelter.
The largest problem would be the reaction of others.... and even with all I have - keeping it for the use of my family. Both from random violent people who are desperate & from starving friends & neighbors. I would like to say I'd share... but what happens when lawlessness & greed takes over? Could I kill them all? Would I want to? Could I stand by & watch neighbors starve?
Personally, I do not think we would be safe to try & keep what was ours. I do not think we could keep everyone out. I know I could not turn away & say too bad for those who were not prepared.
So - what I have told my wife & children is to head for the mtns nearby with the horses, camping supplies & all the food & to release the animals onto the 260 acres of woods behind us. I have friends who want to band together & keep everyone else out.... but as I told one... you can't even shoot your goats how could you shoot your neighbors.... she replied that she doesn't love her neighbors!!! SO... who knows what we would or could do? My wife & kids come first... then who knows?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Fish poop and jelly globs???? :ep (Oh, and :smack )

Hopefully, straining the water through a coffee strainer first caught all the fish poops and jelly globs! Any that were left behind are well cooked and will be so dehydrated, I don't think they will have much flavor. Any specks in the salt will be firmly referred to as "minerals from the sea!" :plbb

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
OK...so now there is another book I need to read. As far as the garlic smell and stainless steel.....that will work with onion smell as well. :D

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
OK...so now there is another book I need to read. As far as the garlic smell and stainless steel.....that will work with onion smell as well. :D
I can send you mine.

I'm done with it. I have a gazillion books.

Latest posts