2012 TSHTF Preps

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do understand what you are saying k0xxx, but I am not sure I want my child trying to deal with a post-apocalyptic society, either. I guess in my heart I really don't believe anything like this will happen. I am an optimist, not into doomsday scenarios. My idea of emergency preparedness is making sure the AAA bill is paid.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have friends with lots of guns. They have asked to come to my house, because I have everything else. Ummm, not sure if I want to go for that but my own small army might be nice. :D

I am up a hill panoramic view, acreage, gardens. Big dog!! But no H2O. Crud, I guess that should be my next project.

Blackbird be nice to your brother!!

The thing that I consider is if there is any truth to the solar issues with 2012. We could have power outages etc. It would be nice to stay home through it all and not have to worry.

Gas is not an issue because I don't think anyone should go anywhere. To dangerous. There will be gangs of city apartment dwellers on the roads. :p

gina

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
If there is catastrophic 'collapse of civilization and law and order' type thing, I do not think that having stockpiled a whole buncha stuff is likely to be of any reliable help. Even if you have lots of guns and ammo, there will be a lot of folks out there who outnumber you and have more and *bigger* guns and ammo.
As Jim Rawles says in his Survival Blog , "We need to have our Beans, Bullets, and Band-aids squared away, so we can focus on more important things in a disaster than just finding food and water. Not only do we need to just prepare for surviving the next day, but also to be useful in rebuilding infrastructures and free commerce."

By having "stockpiled a whole buncha stuff", you are free to focus on other things, like starting or tending a garden, helping neighbors or other in need, and helping defend your community from people intent on doing harm.

It also means that you won't be standing in line for a government handout, should any even be available. As demonstrated by every large disaster, the immediate aid will go to the cities because that is where the majority of the population is. Those of us in rural areas will probably not see anything in the way of aid until well after the fact, if at all.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I get the feeling that an awful lot of folks here have the attitude of "ha ha, it's mine, die you lazy grasshoppers die"
Well, you would be wrong.

Some of us might be considered "hard" because of the way we think or communicate, but we are also the ones doing clothing drives, donating truckloads of bread to the food bank, giving rides to seniors so they can get to the doctor, watching the neighbor's house while they are out of town, etc...

If someone comes to my house and tries to rob me, damn right I will put an arrow right in their left eye or give them the business end of my softball bat. If someone ASKS for help, I am very likely to give it.

Of course, by help I mean feeding them for a day while teaching them where to get their own food or trading work for food, or some other mutually beneficial arrangement. Just hand over my stuff to a ravaging horde? Heck no!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
"ha ha, it's mine, die you lazy grasshoppers die" <shrug>
:rolleyes: Well, that wasn't exactly what I said, nor did I mean it in such a heartless manner.

Hikerchick, I didn't think I'd have to worry about you coming and looting :lol: But thanks for the reassurance :lol:

Wifezilla, exactly! I will defend what is rightfully mine, and I'm sorry, but if we did have a big disaster, my first and foremost concern is the survival and protection of my children. To heck with anyone and everyone else. Grasshoppers or not.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
and that would be great if everyone thought that way.

but there are people that just throw caution to the wind and if the big one hits, they're the first in line with their hands out.

it pisses me off that the same people that don't even prepare for the smallest emergency are the first wanting a hand out. "oh, I don't think it will happen to me, so I'm just gonna live my life". they are the ones to watch out for if it truly hits the fan

.... (stepping off soap box)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WZ, QA - You said it!
Say Post-SHTF, after the looting, the hordes & crazies have died off or learned how to deal. If you humbly approach my doomstead and ask for food, shelter, heat. Baby if the gut checks out and I don't think you are a trojan horse, come on in! We'll get you settled, fed & in a couple of days, you can help weed the carrots or feed the chickens.

On the other hand, if you roll up, guns blazing & demand what is mine, or sneak in & try to take it, I'm ever so sorry about that hole in your head. :p

Manners matter :D

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
it pisses me off that the same people that don't even prepare for the smallest emergency are the first wanting a hand out. "oh, I don't think it will happen to me, so I'm just gonna live my life". they are the ones to watch out for if it truly hits the fan
God forbid people want to live their lives. How awful of them.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
okiegirl1 said:
God forbid people want to live their lives. How awful of them.
yea, I had a feeling it would be you that get upset about my comment.

You're becoming predictable

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to say that if there is no end in sight to the devastation and we have a limited supply, I'm going to put my family first and say sorry to anyone else who comes with open hands. Sounds terrible, but I would feel even more terrible if a year later, we're out of food and my children are starving because I had been a sap.

Edited for grammar.