3-2-1 Mug Cake Mix - What are your favorite flavors?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is a "recipe" that I use a lot. Since it is just my husband and me at home, I seldom make cake because we cannot eat an entire cake by ourselves. It dries out, the frosting gets gummy, we get tired of it, etc. I usually end up throwing it out to the birds or in the compost bin.

3-2-1 Mug Cake Mix.
It is a mix that is used to make individual sized cakes in a coffee mug. It is cooked in the microwave.

Ingredients:
1 box of store bought cake mix.
1 box of Angel Food cake mix.

Directions:
Mix the 2 box mixes together - Store in an airtight container.

TO Make a Mug Cake:
Use a standard coffee mug - must be microwave safe. Mix right in the mug.
3 tablespoons of mix
2 tablespoons of water
Stir together for 1 minute - make sure there are no lumps.
Microwave on high for 1 minute.
(Since microwaves all seem to cook differently, you may need to adjust the time up or down 15 seconds).

Enjoy your cake!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My typical mix is 1 devils food cake and 1 white angel food cake.

Sometimes I add a teaspoon of chocolate chips 1/2 way through baking.
The result of a rich chocolate cake. Yummy

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just the other day, I tried a Yellow cake mix and plain angel food cake mix.

I added fresh, sweet cherries that I pitted and diced. About 2 tablespoons of cherries sprinkled on top before baking. I ended up with a really moist cake with warm cherries throughout.

If you have the cake decorating candies, you can also stir them into the cake for confetti cakes.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds good. Not only do you not have a big cake that is getting dried out, you wind up eating a LOT less cake/calories!

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just the other day, I tried a Yellow cake mix and plain angel food cake mix.

I added fresh, sweet cherries that I pitted and diced. About 2 tablespoons of cherries sprinkled on top before baking. I ended up with a really moist cake with warm cherries throughout.

If you have the cake decorating candies, you can also stir them into the cake for confetti cakes.
This would be awesome for my coworker, I'm going to get the 2 ingredients together in a mason jar with instructions for her! So she can keep it at work for her snack attacks... Thank you!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why have I never heard of this????? Got to try. Showed it to hubby, along with all of the variations. And he said, "Why take something that's only 3 ingredients, and mess it up by adding extra stuff?"

Well... I'm glad that it can be made in individual servings. He'll get the 3 ingredients. Mean while, I will add extra stuff to my little heart's content!!! Shopping for cake mixes tomorrow after church!!!

Can you make 2 mugs-o-cake at the same time? Our microwave is only 700W.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can probably make 2 or more, just make sure they are evenly distributed in the microwave. I only ever needed one cake, lol.
I used to do these at work all the time - that is why I did chocolate mixes. Chocolate smells so dang good! Chocolate is my weakness.

Also, as long as you keep the right proportions (3 parts mix to 2 parts water) you can make larger sized cakes. I have a small glass loafpan that I made it in once: 9 tablespoons of mix, 3 tablespoons of water - mix for 1.5 to 2 minutes.

The most important thing is to mix it long enough. Since it cooks so fast, if you don't stir enough, the mix can stay dry and not re-hydrate enough. Also, mixing will knock down some of the rise from the angel food cake and keep it from overflowing the mug and making a mess. My mixes seem to foam up a little bit when I start mixing, so I mix until it looks like cake mix.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer I use that same recipe. I've used it for years working with seniors. A whole cake is too big for one person, and this works GREAT! I keep it in their house, and whenever I go over, I can make them a quick dessert without it being too much. Sometimes I top it with peanut butter, fruit, or cool whip. Some of them like it as is.

This is also a very fun project with kids. They "cook" but it's so fast that they don't get bored before the cake comes out. Immediate gratification in very small doses. :)

@Lazy Gardener, the angel food is necessary because that's what causes it to rise. You're not adding eggs or baking powder.