50 Pounds of Onion vs. the Veg-O-Matic

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
My new Veg-O-Matic arrived and I figured that I would put it to the test. Another 50 pound onion sack and it was a fight to the finish. The Veg-O-Matic won, but just barely. It lost a blade, had a couple of others bent, and lost part of its' locking mechanism, but it prevailed in the end. Now to fire up the dehydrator.

100_2545.jpg

100_2547.jpg

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's no way I could cut up so many onions! My eyes would sting like crazy! So, how does that thing work? You just put the onion in and push down on it?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, the eyes were indeed stinging and watering like crazy, :hit at least for the first 10 pounds or so, and then they seems to get used to it.

Yes, you just put the onion on the blades and then swiftly press down. We discovered though, that large whole onions were to tough on it. Once we started quartering them first, we flew through them. I'll have to order a new dicing blade, but it's only 5 or 6 dollars. Now that I know to quarter the onions first, the next blades should last a lot longer. It comes with blades for dicing, french fries, slicing, and wedges.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Yep, the eyes were indeed stinging and watering like crazy, :hit at least for the first 10 pounds or so, and then they seems to get used to it.....
That's when endorphins and a sense of euphoria kick in. :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have something called a Nicer Dicer. Almost the same thing. Two size dice-ing blades. I use it for all my dehydrating. Makes everything go so quick.

Great job. So How many dehydrators are you going to run to dry all those onions??

Oh that reminds me onions are on sale this week.

:D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Great job. So How many dehydrators are you going to run to dry all those onions??
Two Excalibur 9 trays. Ours and a borrowed one. We still had a little bit left over so we just put it into a freezer bag for use this week.

Eventually I'd like to get me a Nemcon Easy Chopper, but I just have a hard time justifying the expense. However, if the garden ever get really producing, it may be worth it.

Tomorrow... More Potatoes. :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
k0xxx said:
Yep, the eyes were indeed stinging and watering like crazy, :hit at least for the first 10 pounds or so, and then they seems to get used to it.....
That's when endorphins and a sense of euphoria kick in. :lol:
:yuckyuck

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
My new Veg-O-Matic arrived and I figured that I would put it to the test. Another 50 pound onion sack and it was a fight to the finish. The Veg-O-Matic won, but just barely. It lost a blade, had a couple of others bent, and lost part of its' locking mechanism, but it prevailed in the end. Now to fire up the dehydrator.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii242/k0xxx/100_2545.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii242/k0xxx/100_2547.jpg
Didn't know they still made those. I have one that belonged to my mom and she had to have bought it about 40 years ago.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Rhettsgreygal said:
Didn't know they still made those. I have one that belonged to my mom and she had to have bought it about 40 years ago.
My mom had one in the 60's, and My wife and I actually got one as a house warming gift in the 70's (long since lost in the clutter of time). This one was bought new, last week. They're like the energizer bunny, I guess. Hmmm, now maybe I'll get me a Pocket Fisherman....