500 pound boar!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We. Just. Ate. Stuffed.

Not tough! All that fat marbled in the meat made it tender. Not 6 month old tender, but not chewy. I have them leave the fat on the cuts. When I fry the chops, I wind up with more fat in the skillet than what I started with. @Mike CHS as I cook other cuts, I’ll post pictures. We had Wilbur cut into pork chops, shoulder roasts, 1 ham sliced in 11/2” slabs and the other ham ground up, spare ribs, bacon, and everything else ground into half sausage and half ground pork.

0da75154-ecc8-4d9a-9e5d-1c62970609f1-jpeg.53723

35868de9-0186-4f55-ae84-d78cdebb4c0d-jpeg.53722

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
bay, that is a blessing you have there! All that meat looks so good, especially those chops, man, you are killing me here! :drool I'm so glad there is no taint and the meat is tender too!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you serve ONE chop with veggies, you will need a PLATTER, not a plate! Geesh. I would cut off the 1/2 from the actual loin back, trim the fat and then fry.

Those are huge!! That fat is great for dogs in winter, added to their food. Four to a pkg? Well, yes -- you will need to eat it for a week on each pkg.

Guess that is why I liked my little AGH piggies...size. Of course, Wilbur was already there when you got him. What a deal!!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wilbur cost $100. We spent about $50 on corn. Processing was $592 for a total of $742. Hanging weight was 506 pounds. Since we saved the fat and soup bones, I don't think there was much waste. I recently rendered lard and have 12 quarts, so I am giving the fat to a friend who wants lard. Using 500 pounds, cost per pound is $1.48 for some darn good meat. Not too shabby.

I see older hogs and boars on Craigslist quite often. Sometimes they have a hefty price on them because people think that their valuable breeders hold great value. Nope. I watched a Hampshire boar go from $350 to $50. Nobody wants older hogs and they sure don't want big old boars. We'll take that risk. I feed them good, no sows around to get their hormones up and they taste just fine. I know that at some point, I might wind up with a stinky carcass, but I'll take that risk.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wilbur as pulled pork, was the hit of the party. Instead of asking if anybody wanted pulled pork, I asked if anybody wanted to bite Wilbur. We left some with the hosts of the party and brought a little home. The party was fun, food was good and everybody had a good time. We had some friends spend the night and today I taught her how to make bread. We made rosemary focaccia bread, dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls. I sent them home with most of what was left after we ate all we could. LOL

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The focaccia sounds good. I like that type. Grabbed a recipe for some skillet bread I want to try soon.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a deal on a huge boar. His name is Wilbur and he is a Red Wattle. He got too big to breed their sows, so he went up for sale. The lady who owned him couldn’t put him in the freezer, he was her first pig and a pet. He is very calm and gentle. But she became afraid of Wilbur because he wanted to rub on her, affectionately, but because of his size, it was dangerous.

We picked him up today. I took boiled eggs and he walked up in the trailer to eat them. We unloaded him and he walked around his new pen.

View attachment 8185

He went in the Pig Palace and ate corn.

View attachment 8188

He is over 3 feet tall.

View attachment 8186

Wilbur is a BIG boy!

View attachment 8187

We’ll feed him soured corn, milk, alfalfa cubes and hay for 4-6 weeks, then take him to slaughter.
I can't stop staring. That's one large pork steak right there. this will be a really big purchase.. congratulations!! I hope mine pig is that big too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He is beautiful!! Shame he outgrew his first job...but I'll bet he'll be awesome at his second one, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going to keep him 4-6 weeks, Feed him good and take him to slaughter. This morning he was chewing a dry goatweed. NOTHING eats goatweed. Poor thing just wanted something green. So I dug him a huge clump of grass and DH tossed it over the gate. Happy hog.

260D1F7C-EB36-4550-8001-415FA2980906.jpeg