500 pound boar!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have just about wiped out Wilbur. Still have a freezer shelf stacked full of pork chops. No pan sausage left. Got tired of pork shoulder and ham steaks, so I thawed them out, had 52 pounds. Been making sausage and stuffing it, BJ is smoking it. Dang! It sure smells good! Day 1, I ran ham steaks and shoulders through the meat grinder. It is a small Oster, that I've had for 35 years. I had to keep shutting down to clean the cutting blades, the connective tissue kept wrapping around everything. Day 2, we smoked sausage yesterday. I ran the pork through the grinder on fine grind, then again to stuff it into hog casings. DH got most of it smoked, still have a bowl full of stuffed sausage in the refrigerator to finish smoking today. Day 3, I have 10 packages of ground meat to season up for pan sausage. We bought some collagen casings only to find out that they won't survive smoking on the pit, they are only for "fresh" sausage. So maybe I'll try my hand at that too. Last night's supper was smocked sausage sandwiches. Yum! I got a lot of links in the refrigerator to vacuum seal and freeze.

37517621-9a19-4bbb-b45a-5511bf60408a-jpeg.67271

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a deal on a huge boar. His name is Wilbur and he is a Red Wattle. He got too big to breed their sows, so he went up for sale. The lady who owned him couldn’t put him in the freezer, he was her first pig and a pet. He is very calm and gentle. But she became afraid of Wilbur because he wanted to rub on her, affectionately, but because of his size, it was dangerous.

We picked him up today. I took boiled eggs and he walked up in the trailer to eat them. We unloaded him and he walked around his new pen.

View attachment 8185

He went in the Pig Palace and ate corn.

View attachment 8188

He is over 3 feet tall.

View attachment 8186

Wilbur is a BIG boy!

View attachment 8187

We’ll feed him soured corn, milk, alfalfa cubes and hay for 4-6 weeks, then take him to slaughter.
whhheeeww!! Congratulations.. that is massive.. you're gonna make a lot of money from that. my.. i wish i can grow one that big aswell.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a deal on a huge boar. His name is Wilbur and he is a Red Wattle. He got too big to breed their sows, so he went up for sale. The lady who owned him couldn’t put him in the freezer, he was her first pig and a pet. He is very calm and gentle. But she became afraid of Wilbur because he wanted to rub on her, affectionately, but because of his size, it was dangerous.

We picked him up today. I took boiled eggs and he walked up in the trailer to eat them. We unloaded him and he walked around his new pen.

View attachment 8185

View attachment 8188

He is over 3 feet tall.

View attachment 8186

Wilbur is a BIG boy!

View attachment 8187

We’ll feed him soured corn, milk, alfalfa cubes and hay for 4-6 weeks, then take him to slaughter.
Oh what an amazing animal... Its so large... Its such a shame that slaughter is one of its purpose... it should serve his purpose well.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

View attachment 8185

View attachment 8188

He is over 3 feet tall.

View attachment 8186

Wilbur is a BIG boy!

View attachment 8187

That's so big! I bet it will produce a lot of pork meat, We normally don't have such large pigs in our local slaughterhouse. How old is it? he looks so mature.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

View attachment 8185

View attachment 8188

He is over 3 feet tall.

View attachment 8186

Wilbur is a BIG boy!

View attachment 8187

I can't stop staring. That's one large pork steak right there. this will be a really big purchase.. congratulations!! I hope mine pig is that big too.

Latest posts