55 gallon drums for food and water storage...

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
where do you get em?

I know car washes use drums but I am not sure about using something that holds/held chemicals

not to mention I think maybe I want food safe...

do have to go pay retail and buy them or what?

what do you use, and where do you get them, thanks!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I don't use barrels for storage, but I did make some wonderful planters from barrels. :)

The ones I got came from Pepsi. They originally held soda syrup. They cost me $10 and $15 each depending on the size. I bought them from a recycling place.

I also found this site on the internet Barrels

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A 55 gallon drum is going to be heavy when/if you move it.

Plus if you plan on stacking it you are going to have to have some heavy duty shelving units. Also when you open a 55 gallon drum you have the potential of having the remaining food spoil. These are a couple of the reasons that most folks chose to store in 5 gallon buckets.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I had two different source for them and both of them dried up. First one was 30 and 55 gallon food grade barrels that had been used one time with a sugar based liquid in them (Think Smuckers Jams and Jellies ;) ) My second source was a company that made flavorings. Some of those drums still had a heavy scent of whatever flavor was in them (the watermelon flavor smelled GREAT! :D ) so I just used those for my diesel fuel. The milder ones cleaned up with a light bleach solution and a good rinse or two.
Check out Craigslist for a supply near you.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So - wondering - we have a pool in the backyard. It gets regular chlorine treatment. If TSHTF, temporarily or longer-term, it seems to me that we have a pretty major source of water for quite a while. Now, I have a waterfilter (katadyn) to run it through. But, I'm just curious what others think - does it make sense to *also* have a 55gal barrel of water as well?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I would. The pool could become contaminated. Water is something you can't have to much of in a SHTF scenario.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have two 55 gallon drums that we use for food and one that is currently used for water. The food barrels each contain 5 gallon mylar bags of wheat that were vacuum sealed and the placed in the drums when we didn't have enough buckets. The water drum is a food grade drum that we purchased new. I can lean and roll the full water drum on its' edge and move it when needed, and we have a hand pump to draw out water.

We have three 375 gallon tanks for most of our non-potable water needs, but we use the drum for cooking water.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought two food grade 55's on CL. That one at cost co seems a bit expensive. Emergency Essentials sells them for $70. I think if you look around you can find a much better deal.

g